1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On deck: San Diego U-T

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They always seem to pull this shit on a Thursday or Friday. The entire newsroom sits at their desks scared shitless every time somebody comes to talk to them and the writers are home with their hearts skipping a beat every time the phone rings.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

And of course the first comment is someone saying they deserve it because they work for such a liberal newspaper, although the U-T, as the second commenter pointed out, has long been known as one of the more conservative-type major papers out there. At least it was while I was working there.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you're a paper in a military town, you are likely lean (if not bend over backwards) conservative.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Ahh yes, the old "if you didn't lean left you would sell more papers" crap.

Haven't heard that one before. Oh wait, yes I have.

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Here's a story, with names, on the San Diego Union-Tribune layoffs: http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/environment/muck/article_f5f81632-7a7c-11df-ad0d-001cc4c002e0.html

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

$35K in San Diego. Jeebus Cripes. Clearly these clowns have no idea of cost of living.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They do too. They just dont care.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

They don't have to, because they know people will take the lower-rate jobs -- happily, in many cases, because people think it would be better to have something than nothing.

And they would probably be right. Things really are that bad, employment-wise, for many, especially in California.

If you're lucky enough to have or be offered a job, you're fortunate these days and should do everything you can to hang on to it.

Or else, you'll need a readily available back-up plan.

9. Mizzougrad96

I think sports lost a copy editor. I think the SE took a buyout, although that may have happened a little while ago.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey, I hear you! I live in Michigan, which isn't much better.

11. Mizzougrad96

Sports lost four.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

San Diego has 10.4% unemployment. People are desperate for work. The U-T can get away with this and they know it.

$35K in San Diego is do-able with a couple of roommates or a spouse that makes more than you. You won't have a lot of money to spend enjoying San Diego, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted