1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On-call, part-time positions, The Washington Post.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Aug 15, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good opportunity for the jobless, no?

Taken from jjobs.com:

Company: The Washington Post
    Position:
    PART-TIME ON-CALL PAID POSITIONS AVAILABLE IN
    SPORTS
    Job Status: Part-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    September 19, 2007
    Job ID: 815890

Description:
    Part-time on-call, news aides needed to work in the Sports department at The Washington Post. Hours are nights and weekends. Duties include: assisting editors, reporters and columnists with research and interviews; answering busy phones and helping callers with questions and fielding their comments; assisting the high school sports with boxscores; writing sports briefs; and conducting general office duties such as distributing mail and photocopying. Journalism and computer experience a must. Sports background not necessarily important, but an interest in sports and sports journalism is a plus.

Interested candidates should contact: Jackie Alvarado, Sports Administrator. address: 1150 15th St. NW Washington, DC 20071 fax: 202-334-7685 email: alvaradoj@washpost.com No phone calls please.

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

Shouldn't they advertise it as a sports clerk? The only writing is briefs.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Calling them part-time on-call, news aides is good enough for me.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That was my first job in the business -- although not at The Post -- and I'll never do it again. Of course, I wish I could have gotten my start there.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Anyone know what the union scale is there? I'm thinking that working even two nights per week can help you quite a ways there, and adding in a part-time gig (work at Starbucks for benefits, since they dole them out to part-timers) would mean you'd survive. And that's all you want to do at 22, 23, 24, 25.

6. ....26, 27, 28, 29, 30. in this business at least.

7. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Tough to put together clips in a gig like that, though.

8. FromTheBlock

FromTheBlock New Member

And it being "on-call" probably would make it difficult to do any free-lance on the side. So it might not be possible to get any clips together.

But still- having The Washington Post on your resume should look good to potential employers in the future.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

You can't argue with having your foot in the door at the Post. I agree that it does look good on a resume. If nothing else, you can make connections for later in your career.

Draft saved Draft deleted