1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On assignment - weird places you have filed from

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Mar 15, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Had to cover something tonight out of town and I was having some wi-fi issues.

So I skedaddled and went to a local hospital down the road that makes a big deal of its free wireless. I filed my write-thru from there, what used to be the smokers patio, but with it being a smoke-free campus, no smokers. I'm outside, typing this right now.

Kind of neat though. Being outside and knowing that the copy I sent in a few minutes ago has already hit the wire.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar oddness. I'm pretty sure this has been covered before, but I thought a refresher wouldn't be an awful idea.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Filed a gamer from McDonalds once, they have wi-fi there

3. lono

lono Active Member

A hotel bathroom in Johnson City, Tenn.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

A campsite in Johnson City, Tenn.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Tailgate of my former pickup truck at a truck stop in Burns, Wyo., via a cell-phone modem.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Riding in a car on I-20 in the middle of nowhere. I'm still not sure how my air card picked up a signal, but I'm glad it did.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Once had to have reporter at the office take dictation from me for a 2A state championship football game because the OLD GEEZER BASTARDS at that piece of shit OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY wanted to go home so fucking bad.

I'm on the field doing interviews when I head back up to the press box. Only press box is locked, and one of the other reporters is standing there with my laptop.

Couldn't find SHIT in Bore-vallis, Oregon, so I sat in the fucking car and dictated a fucking story for a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL gamer.

And I've hated the (well THOSE) Beavers ever since. :mad:

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Went in and bummed a phoneline at a roadside motel office in the middle of nowhere Alaska. That was good fun. Spent the 30 minutes before that with my laptop open and the photog driving trying to chase down some elusive wifi signals with no luck (Maybe we should have turned left back there, no wait, it was stronger a block ago, go the other way).

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Back in the days of using a phone jack, couldn't get an outside line at the high school I was covering a football game at, so I raced to a nearby Circle K and breathlessly explained my situation to the college-age clerk. He let me use their phone line, and I filed my story in front of the register.

I know that isn't all that unusual, but what happened afterward was cool. I figured I'd buy something to show my gratitude, so I pick up a soda and bag of chips. Dude says, "Hey, don't worry about it, it's on the house," as if I had done him the giant favor.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Chinese restaurant in the bowels of Little Havana.

11. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I filed from a gas station broom closet once. Nearly killed myself getting there, too.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Dictating a story from the AD's office at St. Thomas University in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

... the paper I worked for at the time was a low-budget operation. So, to cut corners, they didn't get a rental car for me and I shuttled to the arena on the team bus (as did the other media from our market). The team knew I had to file after the game -- I was assuming it would be waiting for me. As I hustled out of there, my ride was pulling away ... I ended up hitching a lift with one of the players' parents who recognized me.

Draft saved Draft deleted