1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On a cold and gray Chicago morn ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Apr 5, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Another would-be journalist is born ...

I don’t know why old friends with college-age kids think I’m some great clearinghouse of information. And I really don’t know why these J-schools aren’t drilling in the importance of lining up internships early in the process so these babes in the woods don’t start the process in April of their junior year.

But I digress.

So how does one go about lining up internship opportunities, formal or otherwise, with the industry in the state it is in today? He’s got college paper experience, but looks like it is mostly copy editing (I found one byline.) Should he just scrounge for whatever freelance scraps are out there? Try and find something where he can work on corporate copy? Build his own Substack or podcast?

I plan to give my standard disclaimers about vanishing jobs and very little pay, but I don’t think it is my place to kill someone’s dream altogether.

Liut likes this.
  2. I think these are the two most viable paths to “making it” in the industry today:

One: Go big. Pray you get accepted into an internship program at The NY Times, WaPo or some other huge media entity; do all the grunt work and be ready for any assignment thrown your way; get rewarded with an entry level job — and entry level salary — out of college.

Two: Go local. Is there a hometown newspaper or television station to which they could latch on? If so, get your foot in the door. Learn everything you could about the high school lacrosse scene or D-II football — or whatever “beats” are neglected but have solid and enthusiastic readership — and create content, like articles/podcasts/video, and work your way to becoming an indispensable member of that community.

Either way, if you’re suddenly 27 or 38 and no longer want to pursue sports writing, you will have acquired more than enough skills and such that you can pivot into another field. My $.02.

maumann and Liut like this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Of note, this guy is from a news background, not sports.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted