1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On a cell phone ... at a Yankees game ... the guy was asking for it!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Karmic justice at last night's Mariners-Yankees game. Guy sitting in the right field corner is talking on his cell phone when a ground-rule double bounces up and smacks him square in the face. Sometimes, funny bad things do happen to deserving douchebags.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6633405n&tag=pop

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe it's just me, but talking on a cell at a sporting event at any of the big four sports is so common these days that I don't think it's nearly as bad as doing it at the movies.

3. JR

JR Active Member

Anybody who does it at the movies should be shot.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, movies = worthy of flogging. Ball game = not so much. There's so much noise that a person on a cell wouldn't be a distraction.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Talking on a cell is a definite no-no at the movies. At a game, there's a lot more people and more conversation, as opposed to a movie, where everyone's silent, for the most part.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I do think we should flog the jackasses behind home plate who are talking on their phones and waving before every pitch.

7. CR19

CR19 Member

Talking on the cell phone doesn't deserve a flogging. However, the embarrassment of waving to the camera is likely enough punishment.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

This raises an interesting point that is best resolved through the use of Venn diagrams:

Talking on the phone at a ballgame is a douchebag move.

Talking on the phone in a theatre, during a movie, is an asshole move.

Douchebag is that area where "asshole" and "idiot" overlap.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I don't like much about the Boston Red Sox organzation, but I do like how they prohibit the use of cellphones behind the plate (perhaps in more areas than just that, I don't know).

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ah, but what about their friends who call to say "Hey, they just mentioned you on TV."

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The person I felt like beating was someone who was waiting in line behind me in a convenience store last summer. At the front of the line was a woman and her young (maybe 2 years old) daughter. The person on the phone was a teenage girl and within one minute she must have used the word "fuck" a dozen or more times.
    She was in her own little world. She didn't seem to know or care that there was a little kid within earshot or that maybe some of the other customers didn't feel like hearing her say "fuck" over and over again.
    That's the main problem I have with many cell phone users. They're completely oblivious to the world around them.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's not cool. The part about the movies is them texting and that light from their phone screen standing out in a dark theatre. I'm tempted to go confiscate the phone every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted