1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OMG! OMG! Chicago Tribune Notre Dame beat jockey faced Heisman conundrum!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Newspaper wishes to avoid "becoming the NEWS!!!!!" So it makes a big deal out of Heisman vote, then publishes a column in which it explains how this does NOT mean the paper has become the news.

Journalistic navel-gazing at its finest.

http://www.shermanreport.com/dilemma-notre-dame-beat-writer-chicago-tribune-make-interesting-decision-heisman-vote/

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I disagree. They decided to vary from the norm and published an explanatory piece.
    I'm OK with all of it.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think anybody who votes for a major award should write a column explaining the decision.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Another great example of why sports writers shouldn't vote these things. And Mr. Kellams doesn't really make any kind of argument as to why they should, given the specific circumstance.

More inclined to Norrin's view here, that the explanatory piece doesn't explain much.

Newspapers need to recuse themselves from the 'Johnny Football Trophy Brought To You By Nissan and 1800Flowers' nonsense.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

It doesn't matter to me whether or not writers vote for awards. But if they do, they should just vote and be done with it. There's no need for this Kellams to babble on about what a dilemma this was.

This is way too Inside Baseball, and goes deeply into the realm of "who cares"?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This must be satire.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Why? If you're going to vote, you should be able top defend your vote.

Some years the vote might be a no-brainer. Some years it's not. When I had a AP vote, we ran how I voted every week. I didn't explain anything, but I would get a ton of emails screaming about putting one school over the other or applauding me for putting one school ahead of another. I never knew if people were going to agree or disagree with me, but I knew people paid attention to it.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Again, I disagree. Kellams was asked for an explanation and he gave one.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why this is your main concern. Of all the potential conflicts -- and I believe there are conflicts -- I don't get why a corporate sponsorship appears to offend you most.

10. If he was as unbiased as he should be, why should he naturally vote for te'o? And why do we need to know who he voted for when his vote was 1/5 of a vote. I applaud the beat writer here.

11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I don't mind that writers vote on the Heisman. They see more games than anyone. I like the fact that former Heisman winners get a vote - it adds to the brotherhood of the award.
    But I've also always been of the mind that NFL scouts should get a vote - one per team. They are true talent evaluators and could possibly get the Heisman to where it says it wants to be - and that's awarding the trophy to college football's best player, not simply the quarterback with the best stats. Sometimes that might be the case, but I'd love for 32 NFL scouts to factor into the equation.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Who said it was my 'main concern?'

The vote in this case was the cause of the navelgazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted