1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OMG, I'm Chuck Noland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 19, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I just looked around my home office and realized there are no fewer than 10 places where I can see what time it is. For me to fly anywhere over water at this time would be a serious test of my karma. Anybody else have an unwitting obsession like this?

2. T2

T2 Member

My count is seven places. But it's not completely our fault, since each computer and fax machine and VCR and such comes equipped with a clock (which will only make it harder to set them all ahead on March 11).

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Six here ... Four clocks, my computer and my cell phone.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In the office, a clock, fax/copier, computer and caller ID...

5. I've got like two places in my entire house ... not including the computer when I'm looking at it ... who the hell is chuck noland?

6. T2

T2 Member

The lead character in the movie "Castaway." From the MovieGlimpse synopsis:

The scene shifts again to Chuck Noland (Tom Hanks), a man seemingly in control of everything. He is giving a speech, the theme of which is time, to a group of Russian Fed Ex employees.

Chuck stresses three points as an interpreter shouts his words in Russian:

Time rules over us without mercy (rather than a God who rules with mercy).

We live or die by the clock (rather than by the grace of a Sovereign God).

Never turn your back on the clock or commit the sin of losing track of time. It is a pulsating, relentless taskmaster (rather than a loving, compassionate God).

Chuck had mailed a package from the United States to be delivered to him while he is in Russia. The package contained a clock and it showed that it took eighty-seven hours to arrive in Russia. He explains that eighty-seven hours is an eternity. Man’s time versus God’s time. This is the main theme of the movie. The interpreter tells the group that Chuck had even stolen a bicycle to deliver packages. He will do whatever it takes to serve this harsh taskmaster which is time.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Chuck No-Land ... get it?

And the spelling of the movie title ("Cast Away" instead of "Castaway") has meaning, as well.

8. Wow. You really thought that through. You guys probably belong to the same club that believes the Bill Murray movie "Groundhog Day" was inspired by Buddhism.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/entertainment/16592742.htm

9. Dedo

Dedo Member

I'm convinced Cast Away is one of the most underrated films of our time. There's so much powerful stuff going on, on so many levels, with so many beautifully subtle touches.

And yet all most people remember is the damn volleyball...

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

What? Chuck Norris? Oops, wrong thread. My bad.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

WIIILLLLLLLLSSSSSSSOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow, unless someone had explained the background of the initial post, I would never have none what the hell you were talking about. And I've SEEN Cast Away. Wasn't at all impressed, so it's probably why I had no clue.

Draft saved Draft deleted