1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Omar's back!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bristol Whipped, Jun 24, 2009.

1. The actor who plays Omar from The Wire is on this new NBC show The Philanthropist that's on right now. He plays the bodyguard of the main character, who's another HBO vet (he played Marc Antony in Rome).

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Indeed.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

A man got to have a code.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I knew there was no way that little kid could have gotten him. It was a hoax like tupac.

Honeynut Cheerios for all!

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Watch out for Kennard!!!

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unrelated, but I had no place to put this, so I never posted it. I got on the NYC subway last Friday in the middle of the day, and the actor who played Cutty got on. I shook his hand and did the "big fan" bit, and rode with him for a few stops. No one seemed to recognize him except me, sadly.

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

That's awesome. Very cool.

8. 93Devil

Same story, but with these actors at two different times.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would have been too scared to shake Omar's hand or the girls, especially if she was holding a nailgun.

9. The Big Ragu

I'd have been more scared to shake Marlo's hand than I would be to shake Omar's. Omar won't mess with you if you aren't in the game. Marlo is dangerous. Remember when he had the security guard in the store offed because he "talked back"?

This one wasn't a random "ran into him," but I've also met Robert Wisdom, the actor who played Bunny Colvin. He's a really nice guy.

10. 93Devil

Ragu, in NYC people tend to "not notice" stars, right?

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I know when I was there people kept a respectful distance, and I appreciated it.

12. The Big Ragu

No clue. I think there are stars and there are stars. Probably, not that many people watched The Wire and this was Cutty, not even McNulty or Stringer Bell. But it was hard to miss him, if you watched the show. Full beard, Cutty mannerisms. I was staring at him from the minute he stepped on the train.

I separate "famous people" sightings from places you expect to see them and places you don't. My favorites are subway sightings, especially if I stand or sit and talk to the person. I actually keep my distance usually and I am not very outgoing usually, but if I am sitting on a subway next to someone I recognize and they are not doing anything else, I'll introduce myself. My three favorites were probably Frank DeFord (probably 15 to 20 years ago; I had a 10-stop conversation with him about my career. ... and randomly, about George Steinbrenner), Neil Young (Crowded morning train and I was crammed in standing next to him) and now Cutty.

Draft saved Draft deleted