1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympics coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Feb 11, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wondering what folks are doing in this day and age of slashing expenses and employees.

Did your paper send anyone to Vancouver, and if so, how many? If you did not, has your paper staffed the Games (Winter or Summer) in the past? If you want to include a circulation range without outing yourself, feel free. And what is your daily coverage going to entail and how much less is that than in the past?

I read an APSE story about coverage plans for some Northwest papers (Spokane isn't going), and found it interesting that Scripps Howard News Service did not put together a team to send to Canada.

http://apsportseditors.org/newsletter/northwest-region-report-area-papers-covering-the-olympics-hard/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Someone told me one of the Tribune Co. papers wasn't sending anybody. I find that very difficult to believe. One of my old shops, which would have typically had 8 to 10 at something this close, sent two.

3. MileHigh

I suspect the L.A. Times will supply Tribune papers with copy. I know Lisa Dillman and Bill Plaschke are there. For starters. The Times has always gone gung-ho on the Olympics.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Looks like Hearst is doing shared coverage too. I know David Barron is there from Houston and John Crumpacker from San Francisco.

Us? We're too small to send anyone, and I know I've been saying we'll downplay it because there's not a lot of snow, hills or ice surfaces here, plus basketball playoffs start in a couple of weeks, but here I am, centering with it again ...

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

We sent two of our three sports guys. We're not a fair comparison, though.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Sent one of our guys.

7. Phil Hersh and Brian Hamilton are there from Chicago.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

JJT and Kate from the DMN are putting Vancouver datelines on their stories.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I would hope so. Phil's a great reporter who has covered Olympic sports well for quite some time.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

We're small, too, and we've been downplaying it. Part of the "hyperlocal" scheme, although local sports is hectic this time of year, and there's generally not a HUGE interest here in the Winter Olympics.

11. MileHigh

Denver Post has at least three reporters and a photographer there.

12. I didn't realize it until today, but Chicago also sent Blackhawks writer Chris Kuc.

Draft saved Draft deleted