1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympics 2016: Who ya got? .... It's RIO, NOT CHICAGO!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Rio was the logical choice.

I don't see why people --- other than his arch enemies who criticize him over anything --- attacked Obama for going. The president of Brazil went. The king of Spain went. The British PM and Russian president lobbied for their countries. What's the difference?

Sure, no one likes to lose, but Obama understands that the world does not revolve around America anymore. There are probably at least 20-25 nations capable of staging a summer Olympics or World Cup. Be interested to see how South Africa does with the World Cup in 2010.

I suspect the USOC will put out a candidate nearly every cycle, but I wouldn't expect either the Summer or Winter Games to be awarded to the US before at least, say, 2024. This decision had nothing to do with Obama.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Indianapolis has a lot more hotel rooms than it used to, and is adding another 1,500 or so right now. There would be enough places to stay.

The bigger problem is that the city and state sports people made it pretty clear after the Pan Am Games that the city would never bid for the Olympics, not with all the extra facility and financial commitments needed. Indianapolis has got a good niche hosting one-off events and Olympics trials, and building a temporary pool in Conseco Fieldhouse solved the problem of getting more seating capacity in a natatorium without having to build a new one. Heck, getting the long-term commitment for Final Fours will in the end profit Indianapolis more than hosting the Olympics would.

Draft saved Draft deleted