1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympics 2016: Who ya got? .... It's RIO, NOT CHICAGO!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 29, 2009.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Re: Olympics 2016: Who ya got?

I'm really hoping it's Chicago. I have "cover an Olympic Games" as a career goal, Granted, that ladder of upward mobility that led to that goal really doesn't exist anymore, but it would be a lot easier, to at least attend if they take place in Chicago (less than eight hours drive).

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Aren't they all supposed to be clusterfucks? An Olympics is a massive undertaking.
    We heard horror stories about Athens. Weren't those OK?
    We heard horror stories about Beijing. Weren't those OK?
    We heard horror stories about Atlanta. What a clusterfuck.

Sydney remains the gold standard. By far far far far far the highlight of my paltry career.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

From a spectator point of view, I didn't have any problems with Atlanta at all. Of course, the soccer was played less than a mile from my house in Athens.

When I did go to Atlanta for some of the track and field, I never had any problems getting around. I think all the locals were so scared of traffic nightmares that they took Marta, making it easy for the rest of us to drive right up to a lot of the events.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Brazil does have the 2014 World Cup, so they'll have some experience with hosting a major event. Whether the Cup will work for or against them, I'm not sure. But I guess Atlanta got the games two years after the USA had the Cup, so there's precedent there.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It should be Rio. But Chicago will win.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Exactly what tourists deserve.

If they hold any of the events at the Rosemont Horizon, I'm all for it. If they hold all the events downtown, they might as well be having the Games in Rio.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Anyone who has tried to get from OHare to downtown on any given day has to be wondering how a city with one highway--three lanes--can handle the Olympics. 3 am on a Tuesday, bumper-to-bumper traffic.

But if it IS Chicago....we can all stay at my mother's house.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Some of the locals who know all the north-south shortcuts could probably make a killing for a few weeks with a taxi service.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I remember seeing something that some of the soccer games will be played in the new Gopher stadium in Minneapolis.

Aren't some soccer fans rather, well, enthusiastic? Does this spill over into the Olympic soccer games?

No offense to the kind souls over on the soccer thread.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The only way the Olympics is work is to shut down business as usual in a city and make it a three-week party. Barcelona and Sydney did this. Atlanta did not. Moddy, you're right, Sydney was unbelievable. What a city. But Barcelona was pretty good, too.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Tolls alone would make a killing for Chicago.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yup. Especially all those ipass-less rental cars.

Draft saved Draft deleted