1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympics 2012, in Londontown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 7, 2012.

1. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I don't get why Felix didn't let Tarmoh have the spot. She's got almost no chance for a medal. Why risk injury when you're one of the favorites in the 200 by having to run three extra races?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Outstanding question. That's what I wondered, anyway. If I'm not mistaken, the only way Tarmoh is seeing London now is buying a ticket.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

This whole deal is about as clear as mud to me.
    1. Run it off. I believe I have 100 percent chance of making it because I trust in myself.
    2. Flip a coin. I have 50 percent chance left up to fate.
    3. Withdraw. I have 0 chance because I quit.

There is only one of those options that appeals to me.

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I believe both women are going as part of the 4x100 relay team regardless. This was just for the last individual berth.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

No, Tarmoh is only an alternate.

More I look at it, the more I see what Joe sees. The woman had an opportunity to fight for an Olympic spot ... and she walked away from it.

6. Shoeless Joe

Yeah, a lot of times I'll say "I don't understand" about something, but this time, I truly don't understand her thinking.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think there is a lawsuit coming.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's a mystery to me too, and her statements (via her agent) to the press were as clear as mud. Why do I see her in a few days/weeks pleading for another chance? And j/r nails it: If I'm a coach, do I want someone who didn't want to fight for an Olympic bid on a relay team? I know she's only 22 and has a lot to sort out, but the decision of the judge here is really final!

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

A guranteed relay sub spot and a paid trip to London as a full fledged USA Track and Field team member is better than getting blasted in a run off on prime time national TV and getting nothing in return.

10. Shoeless Joe

Are you serious? A "guaranteed sub" spot is better than a place at the table? Fuck that shit. If you are a competitor, show heart. If someone beats you in a fair fight, so be it. They were better. That's life. But to quit? Not gonna happen. Show heart. Be a man (woman in this instance). God hates a coward.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What I've read is that she felt she finished third. Original ruling gave it to her then it was "suddenly" changed. By having a runoff, she's "acknowledging" those results when she feels she earned the spot.

Whatever. Put your spikes on and run it.

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Possible easy gold medal in a relay as payback for stepping down gracefully and not causing US Track and Field further controversy ? Its a no-brainer. I think she's played her hand perfectly so far, a free trip to the games and no questions asked!

Draft saved Draft deleted