1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic Trials Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 30, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

By the way, Whiting's number from the indoor season -- 71-3 1/2. That would've held up pretty well this weekend, huh?

Funny thing is, all through high school, I thought discus was his high-end event.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

The shot putter of the future is Nick Vena, 6-5, 260-pound 15-year-old from Morristown, NJ.
    Threw 67-10 1/2 with HS shot this spring, national frosh record. Finished second in Nike Nationals at 67-2 1/2.
    He is a freaking BEAST!

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Same here. I saw him throw the discus over 200 feet and it seemed like it just kept going. One of the most impressive things I've seen in person considering it was high school.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That is more than a little impressive. Whiting didn't hit 70 with the high school shot until the final meet of his career.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here's the only video of the 800 I could find:

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I didn't think Zapruder was still around.

7. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Good night of racing from Eugene. And who woulda figured one of the best stories would've involved a 16-year-old girl in the 1,500. Jordan Hasay enters the event earlier this week thanks to racer withdrawals, makes it to the semis, then runs a 4:14.50 tonight to set the national high school record and make the finals. Even more unbelievable because she had to pass a couple runners in the last 200m, and with that rope of a pony tail, too. It's pretty awesome that she was supposed to run in junior worlds and technically has a shot at making the Olympic team. Link from an LA Times story I just found:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/olympics_blog/2008/07/a-change-in-pla.html

As for the 800 men's final, if NBC or an official site hasn't put the video up, it should be here:
    http://www.ktvb.com/video/index.html?nvid=259399

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/olympics_blog/2008/07/a-change-in-pla.html

8. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

we talking about Price?

she's fast as hell, but kim gallagher's 2:00.27 in 1982 remains the national 800 record

price's 2:01.61 from pre is No. 2

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Her 2:02.90 at this year's PA state championship set the NFHS record.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Enjoyed Pat Forde's piece on Dara Torres and his skepticism about how she can be this good at her age. Enough reporters will be glomming on to the feel-good aspect of the piece, but he does sound like there might be more to her success than hard work. I say innocent until proven guilty, but my "wow" factor of her accomplishment is tempered by the backstory on several "wow" stories of the past 15 years. Should we get to the point where athletes get tested before a race and beneath their hometown and name we get a graphic showing what substances they have in their system?

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Tyson Gay pulled up with a cramp in the 200 and so he'll only be running the 100m in Beijing.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

People have been tap-dancing around Torres and drugs for years. It was whispered but never said when she made her 2000 comeback. Have not read Pat's piece yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted