1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic Trials Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Does anyone know where I can watch video of last night's men's 800 final? I couldn't find it on YouTube or on www.nbcolympics.com, but maybe I didn't search good enough.

NBC doesn't appear to have the best race of the Trials online, but for all of you shot put fans you sure as hell can watch those finals.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I just spoke with one of my local swimmers on the phone. She did not do well. In fact, she swam slower than her qualifying time. But she was still overwhelmed with the excitement and the emotion of the whole event.

I love the Olympics.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, 'gola, NBC shits on the field events and always has.

I'd sure rather watch the javelin final than the 10,000 meters.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, shot, the 10K late Friday night could provide one of the more interesting stories of the trials.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

But all the "stories" wind up being on the track. There are plenty of stories off the track, too. You don't hear so much about them.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have no problems with field events. I was just a little shocked that the 800 isn't online anywhere, yet you can see nearly every other final, including the shot put - which is a pretty boring event to the average person who doesn't watch track and field much.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agreed, NBC has done a horrible job with field events since Carl Lewis stopped jumping.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Shottie, did you see Ryan Whiting finished 6th in the shot? I knew when I saw him at the PA finals a few years ago he'd be good, but didn't expect him to become world class so quickly.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm guessing Whiting's pretty disappointed. He had #3 throw in the world in the indoor season. He did not come up at all in the finals.

We've got two names for 2012 within 10 miles of here in Whiting and Amy Backel, who was 10th in the javelin and is only in her fifth month of throwing it full-time. She was a heptathlete.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And while she's not as close, I have to think Chanelle Price will have a good chance in four years as well.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Chanelle Price is a monster. Sky is the limit.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

When I saw her run the national record time for a high schooler, I thought she might have a chance at the trials. It seems she just got tired out after running the Prefontaine as well and didn't make it past the prelims.

Draft saved Draft deleted