1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic Trials Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 30, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

If your co-worker thought Symmonds was jogging, he must be drunk.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Nick tends to come from behind. He's a very strategic runner, and he's bears a certain resemblance to Brad Pitt :D

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Goddamn that was a great race. The stadium sounding like it was going to come apart it was roaring so loud.
    Definitely the race of the Trials so far.
    What interests me is that Symmonds' home paper isn't here despite it being located 6 hours away.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

"gola, you are covering one of the great events in all of sports. Enjoy it, boy!

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Amen to that. Have covered six T&F trials and if you like track, there's nothing better, including the Olympics.

And I imagine the Eugene crowd was really into the 800 because boys with Oregon connections swept 1-3.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Jeff Hartwig, all of 40, made the Olympics as a pole vaulter.
    That's pretty damn cool to be 40 and still an elite at a physically demanding sport.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

That one is amazing, Jay

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

According to the track announcer, Tom Pappas just became the first American to ever qualify for three Olympics in the decathlon.

And, yes, the crowd did go nuts because of the Oregon connections. I wasn't totally aware of all that when I was watching, but it still was awesome and shows how knowledgeable the crowd really is here.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I really hope either Rupp or Solinksy win the 5000-meter finals. Then I can say I was beat by an Olympian back in college.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Attending a track meet at Hayward Field is like attending a hockey game in Canada -- no matter how knowledgeable you think you are, here are thousands of people who can make you feel damned stupid in short order.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Our home girl, Hyleas Fountain, is becoming one hell of a story.

Not only did she blow away the heptathlon competition (best mark in USA this year, No. 3 in the world), now she has the top mark through qualifying in the long jump. And her 100 hurdles time should put her in the middle of that on Saturday, too.

Great young woman. Very nice person. She used to run against my daughter in high school.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

If she can pull that off, shot, it would be as impressive as anything anyone can do at the trials.
    I'm guessing she doesn't make it in the hurdles.
    But the hep and LJ puts her in JJK land.

Draft saved Draft deleted