1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic tape-delays and online coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Illino

Illino Member

It was pretty uncharacteristic from the person, but I think they are one of those people who try to see as many big races without knowing the results, so it was probably more a personal thing that a "journalist" opinion, but hard to say given the argument. If the person worked somewhere big enough to have Olympic coverage updates be necessary to the paper's web platform, the tune would probably be different.

2. writingump

writingump Member

Sorry, but his argument stinks on ice. In no way should organizations be held hostage in reporting news ASAP so that NBC can keep us in suspense. On the other hand, I'm not as inclined to be critical of NBC for holding back coverage of swimming, gymnastics, track and field, etc., for its prime-time coverage. If you want to find out early, you can. If you don't want to or honestly haven't heard, then you can watch it. No big deal.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I call bull.

There is nobody that dumb.

4. Illino

Illino Member

Call it what you want. I'd link that status, but the guy's profile is not public.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Agreed. That analyst was terrible. I was only half-awake (if that) when watching, but I believe right after the judges changed the result the NBC analyst said something like "That's what I thought, too, when I saw it in real time." Really? You wait until the judges to say that before mentioning that for the first time? Why not say that when you had 10 minutes to fill?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Can't say for sure, but I would think they would have been able to show it. It's very possible that it was simply an oversight, or something as simple as no one rolling tape on the match when it happened.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed, considering it's a No. 55 market, where reporters at one station seem to think I'm a primary source whenever they try to follow a sports story here, and the weekend.

8. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I don't know if any other major outlets are doing this but I follow ESPN's main Twitter account and whoever is in charge of that has seemingly made a conscious effort to not post Olympic results or those "Michael Phelps just won his 498th medal" tweets until NBC actually airs the event.

Not sure if this is being done because they figure that's when most of their followers are viewing the event and they don't want to post spoilers or if this was an agreement with NBC. Just thought it was interesting.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

ESPN just wishes the Olympics would go away. NBC feels the same about college basketball, the NBA and Major League Baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted