1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic tape-delays and online coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Jul 30, 2012.

1. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Same bowlshit four years later. ... The Olympics are going on in London several hours ahead of us in the U.S. We live in the Internet age, a 24/7 news cycle. When the events are done, they are reported. That's the way it works.

I'd like to see NBC show the events live and then show them again in prime time.

What bothers me is the horseshit Hollywood-magazine approach to the Olympics coverage by some Internet rags, shoved in my face every time I want to get my e-mail.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There are restrictions up the wazoo for non-NBC affiliates. I suspect NBC affiliates are barred from showing an event before it has aired on the network coverage, but I have no idea if that was the case with your boxer.

Non-affiliates are restricted to no more than 6 minutes of Olympic video per 24 hour period, and I believe no more than two minutes within any 3 hour block.

Oh, and the argument that we shouldn't reveal "spoilers" is preposterous. I can see giving a warning first if you're a broadcast outlet, but that's it.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Is NBC's play-by-play done as the event actually happened live? Or is it recorded later?

I've mainly been watching the iPhone app, and there have been a lot of unfamiliar voices providing commentary. I don't recall Rowdy Gaines screeching in my ear during the live swimming feed this afternoon... but perhaps I blocked it out.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As it happens, I believe.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The fight was in the early afternoon, the newscast at 6. But, the fight was on CNBC, not the big-boy network. Could that have been the difference?

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

What kind of journalism does this friend practice? Celebrity upskirt photos?

I refuse to believe any real newsman or newswoman would say something like this without irony.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

News is news.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Really? Bob Costas is your friend? However, he's not a journalist, he's a talk show host.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Just finished watching the men's gymnastics tape delay coverage on NBC. If you weren't watching, Great Britain was an unlikely medal winner. The Brits appeared to have won the silver because the top gymnast in the world, from Japan, basically fell off the pommel horse. That dropped Japan to 4th.
    Japan, however, appealed to the judges. At issue was whether he completed a required portion (hand stand) as part of his dismount. Here's where I rip NBC's coverage:
    1. The Japanese error was huge. NBC was slow to realize it, but did show it. Once. For the next several minutes we get reaction shots of GB and the Ukraine (which thought it had won bronze). We get more reaction shots but no replay, no analysis of the mistake.
    2. When it was apparent there was an official protest, there again was no replay, no analysis.
    3. When the appeal was upheld, Japan got the silver, GB the bronze. NBC showed a slow motion replay of the pommel horse. If that's what is considered a "hand stand" then I could be an Olympic gymnast. It would have been nice if NBC's analyst could explain what constitutes a hand stand in competition.
    4. Whether live or tape delay, NBC's coverage of these 15 minutes was awful.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Damnit, sock. Don't blow it for those of us who haven't seen it. It's just not fair. We don't want spoilers. Wait until the entire country -- out to Hawaii -- has seen it when NBC deems it necessary to show it. It's just not fair.

</boom>

11. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I'm willing to give NBC a pass on the men's gymnastics cluster. They were following the Brits and it wouldn't surprise me if they had an international feed that limited the replay. However...

for all their defense of the tape delay bull to then give away Missy Franklin's gold in a promo right before the race is incomprehensible.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The rate at which the Rays-A's game is going. I'll be able to get in a story on Tunisia-USA men's hoops, which starts in a couple of hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted