1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic tape-delays and online coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Illino

Illino Member

A journalist friend who I respect a great deal made what I consider a terrible argument on Facebook today, when he said that organizations such as Yahoo! Sports, USA Today, ESPN, SI and other national sports publications should refrain from posting Olympic results on their websites, affiliated Twitter sites, etc. until after NBC's tape delay broadcasts of high-profile races.

I will pose the same question to this community as I did to him: Why should all the other media organizations suffer just to help NBC?

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

They shouldn't.
    Only argument I could see being made is everyone else is going to lose readership because they'll want to avoid results so they won't go to those sites.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Let's not report 9/11 happened until the 6 o'clock news.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thank goodness they don't refrain from posting stories and results. The nightly hype/highlight show on NBC is a joke.

Although it does appear that there are restrictions on video replays/footage of Olympic events due to the NBC contract with the IOC. Am I imagining this?

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Fuck that. NBC should show them in real time. The other outlets don't work for NBC. They're reporting the news. NBC isn't.

Instead of getting onto other organizations for reporting stuff, fans/viewers should be lambasting NBC for waiting for hours to report it.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is even funnier than NBC expecting people to watch their regular prime-time "entertainment programming" . . . I use that term advisedly.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Heck, if NBC's own website www.NBCOlympics.com will post results in realtime, why not everyone else?

In the past, I wanted to get the stuff in realtime. This time around, being semi-retired, I'm not as much in a hurry and just turn away if I don't want to know until I see the replay of the event.

The stuff is out there and each person can choose how they want to use it.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I made this point on the other thread -- when exactly do we lift this restriction? After NBC goes off the air in Hawaii to not ruin the "surprise." That would be 5 a.m. Eastern.

Screw NBC. It is the one causing this issue and no other organization should hold back in posting results.

Hell, NBCOlympics.com on its homepage puts up results as they happen.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Our local NBC affiliate is giving results on its evening newscasts.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My checks come from my employer, not NBC. I do what I can to do kickass coverage of our local Olympian. I'm not here to please NBC or the whiners who a) don't want to know, or b) didn't read the story I put in the paper a couple of days ago about what's online, what's live and what's on NBC and seem shocked that not everything is live.

I think there is in terms of highlights. I mentioned it in the main Olympic thread, but (outing alert) boxer Jose Ramirez is from our area and, while the local NBC affiliate did give the result of his fight (which we'd had online almost as soon as it was over), but no highlights on the 6 p.m. news. Didn't watch the midnight show ... but unless there's restrictions, how do you not highlight a local?

11. Fredman1

Fredman1 New Member

It doesn't really matter when local affiliates run crawls across the bottom of the screen list who finished in what position in what event - WHILE that event is still going on or has yet to be aired ('coming up next'. tape delay).

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

screw them. they don't pay me.

Draft saved Draft deleted