1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic Revenue Deal Positions U.S. to Host Games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 23, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll bet Istanbul gets it.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Inspired by their mascot ... "Connie".

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I don't think Byzantium's completely out of the running. If anything, international sports bodies have developed a fetish for taking their events to new places. Turkey's taken enough of a step forward economically that it's not completely impossible to pull off, plus they can cross off the Muslim world.

As for Tokyo, I'm not exactly sure how they'll be able to pay for it given all the costs incurred from Fukushima and its aftermath.

As for U.S. bids, it's nearly impossible to figure out which batch of city fathers will spring up the idea next. After all, places like Anchorage (1994 winter), Minneapolis and Detroit (three times in the 60's and 70's) have bid. When you think about it, the idea of an Olympics in Atlanta has to seem patently absurd other than the fact that it actually happened.

Also: historical note, Chicago has actually been screwed out of the Games twice. The 1904 games were to be held in Chicago but were moved to St. Louis after some strongarming because St. Louis was hosting the Louisiana Purchase Exposition (World's Fair) the same summer.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't see Dallas mounting another serious bid for the Summer Games. They went all-in in 2000 to try to get the 2012 Games and were shot down badly. I'm sure politics was involved, and that certainly hasn't changed in a dozen years, has it?

If they try again for 2024, it'll probably be a collective North Texas bid a la last year's Super Bowl, with some figure like Roger Staubach out in front and lots and lots of (probably all of it) corporate backing. Neither the cities of Dallas or Fort Worth have any will to contribute financially or add infrastructure.

For the Winter Olympics, the main obstacle for major cities would be the NBA only. The NHL always takes a break for the Olympics.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Can't imagine an NBA team would be any kind of an obstacle. Teams have been sent on extended road trips to accomodate circuses and rodeos, so they'd damn sure do it for the Olympics.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The NHL takes a break for the Olympics anyway, so no team would be displaced.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes they would. The Canucks were displaced for quite awhile. I believe the IOC comes in and there is a ton of work done with the building as it isn't just mens hockey that the building would be hosting.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Modern arenas can be switched from hockey to basketball and back again in the space of a single day.

Considering what a big deal basketball is to the IOC and Summer Games (and vice versa) I am sure some scheduling arrangement would be figured out to allow an NBA team to play a home game or two in the middle of a Winter Olympics. They'd build a couple of gaps into the schedules for the skating sports, the NBA team would play 2 games in 2 nights, then be back on the road.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The arena workers would have to cover up all the sponsorship modern arenas display and cover it up with Olympics crap.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wrong again. The IOC takes over the building, it would be impossible for an NBA or NHL team to play. Due to sponsorship issues the Canucks home arena's name was changed for those 2 weeks. It would be a logistical nightmare for them to play an NBA game. The arena will be used for more than just mens hockey and there is more than 1 game per day.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not to mention security issues.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If the city is that behind a once-in-a-lifetime chance to host an Olympics, one extended NBA road trip is not going to be a deal-breaker. Didn't the Braves go on the road for more than a month in '96? And I think the Astros had to do the same thing for a GOP convention.

Draft saved Draft deleted