1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic Revenue Deal Positions U.S. to Host Games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 23, 2012.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It was so nice of the federal government (the taxpayers) to fund virtually every infrastructure improvement at the University of Utah and in Salt Lake City for the winter olympics there, instead of having the university and the city/county/state, who actually benefitted, pay for them. Let's do it again someplace else!

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Check the humidity. I spent August in Beijing in 2008 and it was more miserable than any 105 degree day in Dallas. You were basically wet 24-7.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He said "wet".

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I have a very good friend from grad school who is Turkish. We see each other every year at this conference and catch up, usually at the main luncheon. A couple of years ago he and I wound up sitting with several of his Turkish buddies and one other non-Turkish pal of mine.

When I introduce my Turkish friend, sometimes for chuckles (between the two of us) I say he's from Constantinople. We're friends, no big deal. Not thinking that day, I did that ... you should have seen the looks I got from his Turkish pals! He couldn't quit laughing.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

wasn't the pollution the bigger issue in Beijing?

6. Armchair_QB

Not as big an issue as it was made out to be.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

That's nobody's business but the Turks'.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Didn't realize that. I know they make the decision seven years in advance.... so next year.

9. Armchair_QB

MileHigh is correct. Tokyo, Madrid & Constanti- uh - Istanbul are the three finalists for 2020.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

So Tokyo it is!

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, they weren't going to go to Baku, and an Olympics in Doha in October wouldn't fly with U.S. TV rights deals in the middle of the NFL season. Tokyo makes sense (play the earthquake/tsunami recovery card). Madrid can't afford it. Istanbul is different but probably not feasible.

That puts it at least 28 years without a Summer Games in North America.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Farmers Field Olympics? The track at the Coliseum got plowed over for more up-close seating for USC. San Francisco had a great bid last time around, with the main stadium a rebuilt Stanford Stadium. It all fell apart when the 49ers announced they were abandoning Candlestick for Santa Clara.

Draft saved Draft deleted