1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic Revenue Deal Positions U.S. to Host Games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 23, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I love downtown Reno, but don't exactly see the Sands Regency as world-class lodging.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I could see a place like the aforementioned Dallas, which probably has most of the facilities already. The Bay Area put a bid together for 2012 awhile back, and the big strength was that by expanding the region (three major cities plus a few events in Sacramento), they had all facilities covered except I think they would have had to refurbish a velodrome or something.

But for anything that requires large-scale construction -- and I presume that would include all Winter Olympic sites except Salt Lake and Denver/Colo Springs -- it's going to be a big drain.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

L.A. in 2032, the centennial of the first L.A. Olympics, is my bet.

By then, they'll have built a new stadium (or redone the Coliseum from the blocks up a-la Solider Field).

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

just realized Brazil has the World Cup then the Olympics. US had WC 94 and Olympics 96 but wouldn't think that happens too often.

5. LongTimeListener

They do have the best prop bets in sports, though.

There are decent hotels in Reno -- not great but decent. The world class stuff is in Tahoe on the California side. It would still be a long shot because they don't have the weird stuff (bobsled etc.) and there isn't a huge ton of traffic/infrastructure.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ooh, July and August in North Texas. The marathon will be so much fun!

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Hope it's not Dallas ... they'd need a venue for track and field/opening ceremonies and the Jerrah-Dome wouldn't do. Afraid they'd do something like Atlanta did -- build a venue, then reconfigure as a baseball facility. With all the growth on the north side of Dallas, my beloved Rangers might leave me!

8. LongTimeListener

OTOH, wouldn't it be fun to know the world is watching the Games as presided over by former President George W. Bush?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Cotton Bowl!

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They're not building an interstate through Winter Park. The train option, if they have events there, is the best way to go, to avoid Berthoud Pass in February.

Vail would be the destination for the major ski events, with Breck, Copper and Keystone also involved. If it came here, it would bring about the long-overdue revamping/expansion of I-70 in the highcountry.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Ballpark is what, 15 years old? Yeah, sounds like about time for a new taxpayer-built facility.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Athens and Beijing were just as fun to run at during the summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted