1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic Revenue Deal Positions U.S. to Host Games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 23, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who bids, who gets it, and when?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Denver, 2022.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but who's going to edit all the Olympic copy coming in?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Fewer cities compete for Winter Olympics, and I don't think the little resort towns that used to get them will in the future. They need bigger cities. (Sort of like the NCAA tournament playing the Final Four in stadiums as opposed to arenas.)

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Will Colorado support it after blowing its chance the last time it was awarded the Winter Olympics?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is always a Tahoe committee bidding on bringing the Games back to Squaw Valley whenever they return to the U.S. Lately they have brought Reno proper into the bid, which would answer the question of hotels and other lodging. They have some decent highways/thoroughfares now that could lend themselves to it, too.

Not as convenient as Denver, certainly.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on Dallas for 2024. My guess is the USOC will bid for a Summer Games first. There has been a longer gap without a Summer Olympiad here and my guess is the IOC would rather see them host a Summer next rather than a Winter.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What's the closest major ski area to Denver? Vail? Aspen?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The U.S. will not host another Olympics in the next 40 years. Nor should it particularly want to.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, and Keystone are closer.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Isn't Winter Park the closest? I know it has undergone major development recently. Don't know if it has good enough slopes to make an Olympic-caliber run, though.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Wasn't Chicago in the running for the 2012 games? Why wouldn't they bid again?

Edit: It was 2016.

Draft saved Draft deleted