1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic ice hockey thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Which nation will win the gold medal in men's ice hockey at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2014.
  1. Canada

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Czech Republic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Finland

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Russia

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  5. Slovakia

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Sweden

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  7. United States

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  8. Other

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Depends on the age I guess, guys like me (age 48) have been beaten over the head with the 1972 win over the Russians ever since, Huggy Jr. (turning 14 today) will probably always remember watching Crosby score the golden goal. That will be his 1972.

By the by, Huggy Jr. loves the movie Miracle and is fascinated by the story of that team and that tournament.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Huggy makes some good points. I'm American but that Summit Series fascinates me to no end.

Team Canada underestimated the USSR going into the series but how it came back to win the series in Moscow understandably gives Canada, as a nation, a great sense of pride to this day.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Im Canadian and I'm sick of the 72 summit series nostalgia.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

An SportsJournalists.commer of my acquaintance said he wished Henderson had pulled a Neil Armstrong and just disappeared from view.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I was unaware of any particulars regarding the series until my twenties, maybe even thirties. And living in the States, I've never been bombarded about it by the media. I'm a history nut so that's probably a big part of my interest.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I can completely see it from your point of view but living up here we get beaten over the head with it especially come September.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just got word from Ottawa -- you're not Canadian anymore.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I can name two Slovakian players but that's it. (Jurco and Tatar)

P.S. Forgot about Chara. But that's all I got.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The tale grows in the telling. The hype gets louder every year.

If you think we're beaten over the head, just wait until 2022, the 50th anniversary.

And hell, I think we're kinda modest about it. Greatest hockey tournament ever.

After watching the first game, all I could think of was, "Holy shit. Those commies can fucking play hockey"

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty cool if you can rush two of the top five players ever at the goalie in an odd-man with the game on the line.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Only Gretzky and Lemieux could have scored that goal.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I love the Hawerchuck hook. That for me was the most entertaining hockey I have eve seen.

Poor Larry Murphy was never, ever going to see that puck.

Draft saved Draft deleted