1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic ice hockey thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Which nation will win the gold medal in men's ice hockey at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2014.
  1. Canada

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Czech Republic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Finland

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Russia

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  5. Slovakia

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Sweden

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  7. United States

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  8. Other

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Russia because I think there will be more home cooking at this tourney than you see at a southern family reunion.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

First, depth won't be a huge factor then unsure how important the larger ice surface will be. ::)

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Looked it up and Team Russia head coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov was, indeed, a defenseman for the Soviet Union at Lake Placid. He was one of the Soviets, along with Vladislav Tretiak and Boris Mikhailov, interviewed by HBO for the "Sports of the 20th Century" documentary on the big upset and eventual goal-medal win by the U.S.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is pulling Tretiak in the conversation for worst in game coaching decision of all time?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Has to be at the top of the list.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

If there was any doubt the womens tournament is a two-horse race, Sweden looks like a bad high school team and still leads Japan 1-0 in the third. The Swedes are constantly tuning the puck over in their own zone, and yet Japan can't cash in. Canada or the US would be leading the Swedes 10-0.

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Glad to see Tretiak lighting the Olympic cauldron. Anyone else remember the 1972 Summit Series?
    Picking the Slovaks. Z gets to lift Olympic gold to go with the Cup he lifted three years ago.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Gosh, Sweden looked horrible today.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Summit Series is one of Canada's best known moments--in our history.

Pick the Slovaks for what?

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I think I'm going to take the U.S. to win. A bunch of hard working, blue-collar players.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Heck of a good question and one I'd never thought about in your overall context. Tretiak was considered the greatest goaltender in the world at the time so I'd say Viktor Tikhonov's move is a nominee.

I've never seen/read any criticism of Tikhonov's decision from the players themselves. In the HBO documentary, Tretiak basically said the coach came in the room, told the team Tretiak wasn't playing well and would not play in the second period. Not exactly a scathing critique. Vladimir Myshkin didn't play poorly in the second and Tikhonov stayed with him the rest of the way.

Maybe Tikhonov made a knee-jerk decision in response to Mark Johnson's goal just prior the first-period horn.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Does Canada revere the 2010 Hockey Gold and OT win over the USA to the same extent the US reveres 1980?

To the rest of the World the USA is the evil empire

Draft saved Draft deleted