1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic ice hockey thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Which nation will win the gold medal in men's ice hockey at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2014.
  1. Canada

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Czech Republic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Finland

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Russia

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  5. Slovakia

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Sweden

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  7. United States

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  8. Other

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I'm kinda British so, yeah, it's "The Open" :)

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Women play hockey? Who knew?

Last time Canada won Gold, the US beat us 8 in a row before the Olympics.

Seriously, the problem with women's hockey at the Olympics has always been there are only two teams who can win: Canada or the US.

And Canadian women will win Gold this year because they're, you know, Canadians playing hockey :)

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but don't tell Joe Buck it's not a major sport.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Steven Stamkos officially out of the Games. Not a huge surprise to me. Since the broken leg he suffered last fall, I couldn't fathom him coming back that fast. And, gosh, if he re-injured it by coming back too soon, smart move to sit out.

The format makes it really tough to pick anyone. One good or bad bounce can change everything. I've really gone back and forth about Russia on home ice and the pressure and such. Canada seemed to handle it OK in 2010, maybe even feed off of it; ditto for the US in Salt Lake in 2002. So, taking a wild shot here...

Gold: Russia
    Silver: Slovakia
    Bronze: Sweden (might be the most complete team)

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

My gut tells me Canada, but I think each of the big four teams has issues that are going to make it a great tournament. No team is perfect. Russia it's defense and depth, Canada it's goaltending and perhaps chemsitry, USA it's scoring and skating, Sweden it's age and depth

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

JimmyHoward, you starting for USA?

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Been working on my shoulders so I can open and close the bench door with speed/efficiency

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why would Canada's chemistry be a bigger issue for them than anyone else?

No matter what happens in this one game elimination format there will be colossal overreaction from numerous countries.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Mark, without looking it up please name 5 players on the Slovakian team. WHat about Slovakia tell you they will be playing for gold?

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I always proudly cheer for Canada and will continue to do so this year.

That being said I do enjoy the national hand wringing when someone beats us and all the "I AM CANADIAN' Hoserlosers cry in their beer.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I look forward to the next summit on what is wrong with Canadian hockey if they lose. It is so ridiculous and over the top.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

St Louis is in to replace Stamkos. Good for him

Draft saved Draft deleted