1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic ice hockey thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Which nation will win the gold medal in men's ice hockey at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2014.
  1. Canada

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Czech Republic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Finland

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Russia

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  5. Slovakia

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Sweden

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  7. United States

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  8. Other

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So the men's ice hockey tournament at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games begins on Wednesday, February 12. All of the 12 teams have at least one current NHL player on their roster.

Teams are split into three groups of four, which play a round-robin against one another. Teams then are seeded in an elimination round, meaning a team must play either 6 or 7 games to win a medal.

For those in the US, all games will be aired live on either NBC, NBC Sports Network or the USA Network. Many of the games will be played (and shown) in the early morning hours.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think all Canadian games will be on CBC. But I need confirmation
    Is Elliotte Friedman around here?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The format makes this so tricky to pick. It's three preliminary games and then single elimination. One injury, one bounce, one bad call and you can be toast.

On paper, I think Canada, Russia and Sweden have the best rosters. But because of the format, I think depth is not a huge issue. Goaltending and special teams should be huge.

Several countries may be missing key players because of injuries. Still not clear who will start who will start in goal for Canada, USA or Russia.

Haven't had anyone repeat in the Olympics since the Soviet Union/Unified Team in 1988-1992. Going to wait a couple more days to make my picks.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Depth will absolutely be a huge issue.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He posted elsewhere that he's in North America until the end of the week. Don't expect a lot, if any, posts from him over there. Sounds like a bad situation with computers and being tracked, etc.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. T

Ice Hockey? ICE hockey??? Huh?

As opposed to what: ball hockey, floor hockey, road hockey, kitchen hockey, pond hockey?

I didn't realise Mark came from Great Britain :)

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Broom hockey. Big in the States.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

You watch your hockey, I'll watch mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Field hockey (or just plain "hockey" in Olympic lingo) has been part of the summer Games for a long time.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm going to start calling the Super Bowl the "American Football Championship Game" Canadian lingo.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

I like it. It's like all those pretentious Americans who call the British Open "The Open Championship."

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

For those who may not know, there is also a women's ICE hockey tournament included in the Olympics. Canada has won the past three gold medals. This year, picking the US to beat Canada in the final. Saw a couple of exhibitions, teams looked pretty evenly matched. Canada changed coaches in December, hiring former NHL player Kevin Deneen.

Draft saved Draft deleted