1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I hear ya. That same fucker got his ass kicked in the parking lot as soon as the shift was over. He stopped throwing X-acto knives after that.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've heard Harrisburg is a great town in which to get your ass kicked.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Only with X-acto knives.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I wouldn't say a great town to get your ass kicked but the locals will definitely oblige.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Aw, the good ole days.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I spent about the first eight years of my career on the composing room floor making sure my marked dummies were followed and type was placed straight (and without finger and thumb prints everywhere). 2-3 hours a night, every night. Some of the best conversations I've had in the business happened on the composing room floor. Some of the best lessons in work ethic were learned there. Not to mention the countless stands of .5 pt and 1 pt hairline rules brought home on the bottom of my shoes (only to be found a week later in the corner of the bedroom).

[​IMG]

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I have some fond memories of those days. I was also tickled pink when I figured out, pre-pagination, how to send my stories in modular blocks so they could just be laid on the page as a whole. And I didn't have to spend three hours a night down there.

(Talk about a thread-jack. ;) )

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I recall in my youth making a big mistake and catchingit on the composing room floor just as the page was about to be sent. WHEW!!!!!!!!

9. CNY

CNY Member

I've been really embarrassed about my own proofing skills when the guys in plate-making called about an error they found in a story that they were reading on the plate.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The last thread was winding down, anyhow ;)

11. Padre

Padre Member

we've been using the roundup, which has something for everyone, starting it on the front and jumping it ... with several photos, of course, and anything major separate, like the badminton scandal. I you cant find a solid AP package from what they're givin us every day, you aint tryin real hard

12. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

A lot of incorrect agate. Something must be getting lost in translation from the UK.

Draft saved Draft deleted