1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is a two parter
    On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate AP's Olympic coverage?
    If your paper is covering it, how would you rate how your paper is doing?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If only for the fact that I seriously question whether anybody is running 81-inch Olympic roundups and 53 inches on the swimming alone. I don't quite get why they would not understand that.

I don't mind editing stuff down, but that's ridiculous.

As for us, we're doing a four-page daily pullout in the tabloid, complete agate on the fourth page. And we have a Penn State student writing live on the field hockey, which has loads of Pennsylvania connections, including the starting goalie being local.

We're doing OK, I guess. I hope we are.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'll give them a 5, which is about halfway between the 10 they get for being everywhere and the very low grade I would give them for not making it that easy to get your hands around everything.

I'm especially unhappy with the "lookahead" piece that runs each day. Two of the last three days, it's been about beach volleyball. That's not particularly useful.

I'd hesitate to grade what we're doing, but I think our readers are pretty well served. It's a full inside page each day and we'll front some select things as events warrant. There's a rail with TV listings, a "must watch" thing cribbed from Miami via MCT, a top strip, centerpiece and a 15-inch roundup. I'll work it myself every day, but even on the days I'm supposed to be off it won't be that hard to amble in at 5 p.m. and knock it our pretty quickly.

We'll have a handful of track athletes, including a gold favorite, and that's where the Olympics is most likely to break out front for us - we have football practice starting this week, so that will tend to dominate the conversation.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's awesome. Good job.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I thought AP knew what it was doing. <crossthread> ;)

So far, I've done more watching than reading, to be honest. I'll have to take a look at what's been written.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Not to be contrarian, but..:

Newspapers aren't the only entities publishing the content.

To the point, newspapers also have the option of running the longer roundup on the website and an abbreviated version for print (I realize staffing concerns).

But, it's impossible for AP to know your needs (which change on a daily/hourly basis), because they are servicing everyone from 5k dailies to espn.com and yahoo.com.

7. jr/shotglass

I suppose. But there's also the point that even on websites, people are not wading through an 81-inch roundup. And after 800 words or so, it tends to be rejected by search engines, too.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh ... I certainly know and understand your point.
    At some juncture it's too much and becomes unwieldy and considerably more work for all involved (except for AP for just appending one file and not offering optional trims).

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Maybe its, thanks to the ol' inverted pyramid, AP trusts you to cut at your own whims?

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Inverted pyramid. Now we need a reference to the proportion wheel. I still have one on my desk as kind of a souvenir.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I see your proportion wheel and raise you a [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. jr/shotglass

Best damn back-scratcher in the universe.

And you haven't lived until you've had an X-acto knife thrown at your head by an angry composing-room guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted