1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympic coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think people will want to read about China, period. It's not just evil, it's interesting. But the time difference kills U.S. live TV, hence limiting the Olympic audience. I think it'd be swell if people read sports stories about events they didn't watch on TV, but the evidence is pretty clear they don't.

2. buckner86

buckner86 New Member

Speaking of Olympic coverage, I've got a client who is a former gold medalist and will be in Beijing doing some reporting. If anybody's looking for a great "Where Are They Now?" story or looking for someone to comment on any of the many social/polotical issues brought up by these Olympics, email me.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'm probably biased in the fact that I absolutely love the Olympics, but I've already been warned that it probably won't get much play. The good news is that there won't be a lot of work to do with HS football teams in our coverage area (another consolidation has cut us to six teams), so at least the big stuff will be in. Also, with our being a PM and having decent deadlines (we have to be out by about 9:30 ET), if something huge happens, it'll be right into the prime hours in Beijing and we'll occasionally beat the TV station.

I think it would be a good opportunity for Web-based stuff (I'll refrain from using the 'B' word), because I think you're going to have a consistent audience for something like the Olympics, even if it is a niche audience.

(BTW, if you're looking for historical info of any kind, "The Complete Book of the Olympics" by Wallechinsky/Loucky is an absolute MUST for your bookshelf).

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't think we've ever had an Olympian from our area. We had a female 400 runner make it to USOC qualifying in the 1990s, but that's it. (Hey, there's an idea for a "whatever happened to ..." story.)

5. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Hence the name silentbob.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to ask this. How come Green Lantern gets a graphic for his sig?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

because no one can resist the Green Lantern's powers... geez.......

8. dixiehack

Resist this, comic book boy.

[​IMG]

9. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

God, I'm about sound like a geek, but yellow's not an issue anymore. There's no way in hell that I'm about to explain how, though. I'd be here all day.

I put the same coding I would to put a photo in a post, except I put it in my profile information.

10. dixiehack

Yeah, I figured that was how it worked from a technical standpoint. I just didn't know if the management's ban on sig pics had been lifted or if you were part of the rebel underground.

11. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

What ban?

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Re: Local athletes.

We had a woman, mid-30s, from our area, who entered the U.S. weightlifting trials in a position to qualify and got beat. Basically killed off any chance of there being a fun story this summer (and when women's weightlifting is a fun story, you know you're pretty desperate). A relative of hers has an outside chance of making it in wrestling, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Draft saved Draft deleted