1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympians on Twitter/Instagram

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It looks like I may be in charge of monitoring social media during the Olympics and doing a daily roundup of interesting, colorful or newsworthy tweets, pics, etc.

So who should I follow? Anybody particularly interesting or funny or controversial? Any lesser known athletes?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I covered Hannah Kearney in high school. I follow her FB page, and for the last 18 months the defending moguls gold medalist has taken followers on a journey inside her life leading up to Sochi. It's really provided a great look into the daily doings of an Olympian.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Most of the US women's hockey team is on there and they all seem to be engaging, down to earth, etc. Good follows.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I looked up the US and Canadian hockey rosters and guys such as Ovechkin just about as soon as I got word I might be doing it. My wife's into snowboarding and figure skating so I knew quite a few names in those sports, but after that I'm fairly clueless about who is good or at least interesting.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Lanny Barnes was "given" her Olympic spot in biathlon by her twin sister, Tracy. The story will be forgotten once the Games start because of the minor nature of the sport. I've heard interviews from the sisters but not the parents, coaches or teammates.

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

I agree with the above. College-educated Olympians are the best! (i.e. Kearney, US hockey women)

Shaun White, Julia Mancuso, Bode Miller, Lolo Jones (if she makes the bobsled team), Johnny Weir for figure skating...probably Lindsey Vonn (in case she says anything of news value)

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir's an (openly gay) figure-skating commentator, not a competitor. Apolo Anton Ohno might be interesting too, but same situation for speed skating. Just in case only active athletes meet the criteria.

Almost all the team websites (accessible via www.teamusa.org) include the athletes' Twitter handles. A bunch more teams (including the aforementioned bobsled) will be finalized this weekend. I'm not sure if the USOC will include them in their spreadsheet, which is supposed to be released after the final team is named (Alpine skiing on Jan. 26).

My only local athlete is a Paralympian, but her Twitter feed is way more entertaining than the average 17-year-old's.

8. Songbird

Here's a shot Hannah Kearney just posted on FB: "Look who I bumped into at the ring station at Team USA processing in Munich."

Nice shiner, Shawn.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=625445197509161&set=a.135935756460110.30814.134266563293696&type=1&theater

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I gave a couple of local Winter Olympians a shout-out on Twitter and the rat bastards didn't even give me a favorite. Screw 'em.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Definitely Lolo on Twitter. If only for the photos.

11. Songbird

Twitter has a Sochi list. https://twitter.com/TwitterSports/sochi-2014

Draft saved Draft deleted