1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olney vs. Verducci

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rockcrit88, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

In the same breath, "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty" was a fantastic book. One of the best baseball books I've read.

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Definitely Buster Olney.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's all in the eye of the beholder. Neither knows more about baseball than Bill Conlin.

4. Big fan of both. They're very different in a lot of ways but both excellent at what they do.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Please. That's just ridiculous. Both know far more about current baseball than Conlin and both know the game better.

Conlin might know some old stories about Pete Rose better because he's old but that's the extent of it. Bet you think Hal Bodley is well-informed, too.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Having worked with and been around all four, I'll stand by my original statement. I think the world of all four but for my taste, I prefer Conlin and Bodley.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Of course you have ::).

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Are you senile, too? Those guys might have been "cutting edge" back in '63 but neither of them is relevant in baseball these days.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hardly senile. Conlin and McCoy know more about the game than Olney and Verducci. The difference is that Olney and Verducci are young enough that they can pal around the players. That's the only difference. Conlin and McCoy have seen more baseball than Olney and Verducci can dream about.
    Again, it's preference. I like all four, I just prefer Conlin and McCoy. What's wrong with that?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it's impossible to prove or disprove and not the thesis of the thread to begin with.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Where does Murray Chass fit into this discussion? How about Peter Gammons?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

First off, it's an opinion, not a thesis.
    Secondly, It's a matter of taste. Some like Olney. Some like Verducci.
    All the journalists named are good reads. If you want to go solely on style of writing, I give the edge to Verducci. But again, we're talking about preference.
    As far as seeing more games, there's no question, Conlin, McCoy, Chass and Gammons have seen more. They're older so its pretty much a given they've covered more games than Olney and Verducci.

Draft saved Draft deleted