1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olney vs. Verducci

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rockcrit88, Mar 4, 2010.

1. rockcrit88

rockcrit88 New Member

Who is the better baseball feature writer -- Buster Olney at ESPN or SI's Tom Verducci?

2. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

Both great, but Verducci might be the best ever at the full-form baseball feature.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Olney - because he did not sell his soul to Roger Clemens.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Verducci is a better writer, Olney is better nuts-and-bolts and information gatherer.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

100 percent right. Both are great, but I'd rather read a feature by Verducci, but if I want breaking news, I'd go to Olney.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I got smacked in one of my first posts about sometimes getting lost in one of Verducci's signature number-filled paragraphs, but the guy knows his stuff.

7. Boom_70

I got completely lost in his book "The Yankee Years" It jumped all over the place. At one point he would be writing about 1996 and with no warning jump to A Rod story.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Not a fan of either of them as a feature writer. Not a fan of Verducci at all, in fact. Buster's game stories were among of the best of his generation, though, and his analysis is extremely good. His opinion stuff is sometimes off the wall.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i was hoping this thread was about a throwdown between the two. oh well.

10. Boom_70

Agree, Olney's gamers when he covered The Yankees for the Times were second to none.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Agreed, though I did like the book. It was, indeed, difficult to follow.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

/thread

Draft saved Draft deleted