1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center": Why no Oscar nominations?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Just watched it yesterday and today and was really impressed with the way it handled the events. I don't understand why it didn't get more acclaim. My first thought is that anything that casts 9-11 in a heroic, patriotic light these days turns off the Academy because it might remind them too much of the current adminstration's political tactics regarding 9/11. But then again, "United 93" garnered a lot of critical praise and a couple of nominations.

So anyone else who's seen this one - can you tell me where it went wrong that I'm missing something?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oliver Stone backlash, meebe?

3. And we may have a winner, there.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I saw it. Thought it had no heart, especially when contrasted with United 93.

5. Also not a bad notion. United 93 was simply a much, much better film, and Paul Greenglass (sp) is one of the most underrated directors alive.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

Greengrass, Mr. Bastard. But your point stands.

He also wrote the film. (If you can find them, the treatments he wrote to sell the film to Working Title are small works of art.)

Anyway, I watched United 93 a couple of nights ago after much agnozing. A terrific, important film.

Just don't watch the documentary included with the DVD, the one that follows the actors meeting the various families of the victims. Heartbreak City.

7. da el g

da el g Member

I felt so uncomfortable watching this movie when it came out last summer, could it be because large amounts of the film are two men trapped underground?, it literally felt suffocating

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I felt suffocated by Nicolas Cage's acting, myself.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hatred for Dubya.

Unless Oliver is a Republican.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I knew that would be your predictable response, but "United 93" did garner nominations.

So try again.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Because Nick Cage annoys everybody in the Academy?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Notice that your response is the only one without redeeming quality.

From all corners, United 93 was considered a better film than WTC.

Draft saved Draft deleted