1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oliver Stone: Say hello to my little documentary sympathtic to Hitler and Stalin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jul 27, 2010.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm in no way defending Oliver Stone. I'm saying, that's why there's a different reaction. One case has Mad Max screaming wildly creative threats and insults on tape; the other has a dipshit director sharing his carefully-crafted-for-outrage views on Stalin and Hitler in print.

Gibson is classic train wreck theater. It's got sex, celebrity, caught-on-tape voyeurism, violence, and words you have to beep out on TV. Stone is a low-grade attention whore trying to keep from disappearing.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yes, because Gibson has only made comments like that while going through a manic phase. Well, and when he's drunk and blaming Jews for everything. And when he's sober and defending his frightening father whose views about Jews make Stone look like Abe Foxman. and he must have been manic when saying his wife was going to hell because she wasn't the right kind of Christian. And he was apparently manic when making The Passion and had the scene with rabbis demanding the blood of Jesus. And Mel didn't just say things while suffering from a manic phase. Don't forget, he also allegedly hammered his girlfriend who was holding their child. This is a guy who was one of the most famous actors in the world and an award-winning director in his own right. It's not too hard to see why these actions get a bit more publicity than a director many people have long-considered to be a crackpot, a man who hasn't made a decent movie in about 15 years.

I actually just watched a documentary about the making of Salvador. Stone was crazy even back then and nearly got James Woods killed a few times during filming and both men wanted to take each other out at various times, although in the end they became good friends.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The point about the relative fame of Mel Gibson and Oliver Stone -- and how Gibson went down, in a rant -- is well taken.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Stone needs a better publicist.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm think maybe he knows the Wall Street sequel is shitty and needs to tamp down expectation. Or maybe he's just a moron. Maybe both.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In the least surprising turn of events ever, powerful Hollywood Jews demand that Oliver Stone be punished.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Worst piece of shit I've ever sat thru in a theatre. It was on late at night a few months ago and I decided to give it another try. Fifteen minutes in I quit.

Oliver Stone is so bad he makes M. Night Shamalamadingdong look coherent.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: Oliver Stone: Say hello to my little documentary sympathtic to Hitler and St

[​IMG]

"BYH SAID NATURAL BORN KILLERS SUCKED? LIVE ON SportsJournalists.com? JESUS HAROLD CHRIST ON A FUCKING RUBBER CRUTCH, IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME?"

The only character that was even remotely interesting and only because he was so miles over the top with some funny lines. Other than that, the movie is near the top of pretentious pieces of shit that celebrated what it intended to mock.

And while Stone is mostly responsible for that, Quentin Tarantino -- who wrote it -- gets off unscathed.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

"...that celebrated what it intended to mock." Absolutely perfect. I didn't detect one note of scorn for the tabloid media in that wreck of a film. If anything, it felt as if Stone was disappointed this shit WASN'T happening.

And Tarantino gets off unscathed b/c "Pulp Fiction" proved a month later he would have made a watchable film out of NBK.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Never understood the fascination for Uma Thurman, either.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Glad to know I'm not alone on this.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm certain it would've turned out very differently if Tarantino had directed it. It was the signature Stone traits--pretentiousness, subtlety of a sledgehammer, condescending, caricature characters--that ruined it.

Draft saved Draft deleted