1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oliver Stone: Say hello to my little documentary sympathtic to Hitler and Stalin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Give Stone credit, though. Not content merely to cozy up to Castro, he's really going the extra mile to be loathsome. Best of luck with your Pol Pot puff piece, Ollie!

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'd agree with you, but that piece of crap somehow got some great reviews (a shocking 4 stars from my usual favorite critic, Mr. Ebert) and made a mountain of cash at the box office. And it was all overhyped, overacted, self-indulgent, pretentious dreck. There can't ever have been a more overrated flick than NBK.

But then I think Stone has about a third of the flicks on the most overrated list, so maybe I'm coming from a biased place.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I read something else that included other comments he made to a London newspaper, including that "Jewish domination of the media" prevents Hitler from being portrayed "in context."

Which got me thinking. Will this thing blow up anything near what happened to Mel Gibson? If it doesn't, is it because Gibson's political views are not very progressive, while Stone is a friend to most so-called liberal / leftist causes? I just can see him getting a relative pass, and I suspect that will be a reason why.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I guess Stone is working on the principle that the first person to use "Hitler" or "Nazi" in an argument automatically loses.

Stone has successfully inoculated himself. He's already invoked the above and lost; therefore, all ensuing criticism is moot.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, the good thing is that this will keep me from ever watching one of his films again, because I'm done with this asshole.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Some of us were smart enough to have done this a long time ago. :)

7. outofplace

Actually, the last one I watched was Any Given Sunday. Before that, it was Platoon. Now that I think about it, that might be the entire list. I always meant to watch Wall Street. Now it ain't happenin.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you watched Any Given Sunday, OOP, you suffered for Stone's art. Truly comical failure,

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/oliver-stone-jewish-control-of-the-media-is-preventing-free-holocaust-debate-1.304108

I believe this link might be what you're referring to. Another question Stone has been bandying about in conspiratorial tones is why we heard more about dead jews than dead Russians when "Hitler did far more damage to the Russians than the Jewish people, 25 or 30 [million killed]". Of course the implied answer to this is because of these powerful Jewish forces, nevermind the obvious distinction that he wasn't trying to exterminate the Russian race in concentration camps.

Whoever drew The Producers analogy is dead on. "Hmm, what's my quickest road to career suicide? I know, I'll produce a costly documentary showing the sympathetic side of Hitler and Stalin. That oughta do it." People could chalk up his Castro and Chavez attraction to far left wing politics, but extending his despotic dictator thing to these two monsters is WAY past his usual weird.

10. outofplace

Michael_Gee, there is no doubt about that. I just wish he had exposed himself for the dirtbag that he is before that movie came out, thus sparing me the suffering.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Mel Gibson is one of the biggest movie stars in the world -- or at least was, until blowup number one -- and was caught on tape maniacally screaming "I will burn down your house, but you will fucking blow me first!"

Oliver Stone is a director no one gives a shit about who has made a career out of his desperation to be "controversial," who was quoted in print making excuses for a dictator. Not a small difference there. It's not an issue of getting a pass; it's an issue of no one caring what Oliver Stone has to say about anything.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yes, but Gibson is a mentally ill manic depressive who was ranting during a manic episode, had no intention of actually burning down a house, and probably had no clue what he'd said not longer after rant was complete.

Stone was sober, calm, clear-headed and knew and meant exactly what he's said and done here.

Draft saved Draft deleted