1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O'Leary freezing out the Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

By the way, I've covered a basketball player at Louisville with this sickle cell trait, point guard Andre McGee. We've done multiple stories on it. They have oxygen canisters for him on the bench, IV fluids after most games. Those aren't all that unusual, I know, but there also is a very specific hydration regimen he has to go through. It's a very intensive process, and if UCF knew about this condition and wasn't going to similar lengths, somebody over there might as well start reaching for the checkbook right now.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Believe it or not - and it pains me to say it - Web sites can actually tell you what really happened when a football player dies in a workout or, you know, "something substantive."

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Best thing Whitley pointed out is that Sentinel has been the one prompting UCF to make corrections, not the other way around. Didn't seem possible, but UCF is looking worse with each new turn in this.

4. It seems they knew the kid had the trait, and if they didn't take precaution measures, then this whole thing is simply inexcusable

5. and props to Jeremy Fowler for landing the Florida beat at the Sentinel. Good guy, good writer

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

"He shoots, he scores"... The red light is on, the horn is blowing, the PA system is blaring music, and Missougrad raises his stick while being congratulated by his teammates.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

ECraw said "media outlet," coy. He didn't say a newspaper.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was thinking mainly about the Dolphins when I mentioned Miami, but I don't really know the way things work in Florida. Where does UCF football rank in Orlando in the fall? Behind Florida and Florida State I'm sure. What about the Hurricanes Dolphins and Bucs? How about USF if it continues to hang around the top 25?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nice promotion. I think everyone saw this coming after Curtis left.

This is the beat you want at The Sentinel. Look where the past UF writers of the last 10 years or so have gone.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The Sentinel can use Sun-Sentinel copy on the Hurricanes and Dolphins. They have a staff writer on the Bucs and cover the team thoroughly.

11. The Sentinel beats in terms of play go as follows:

The Magic is the top beat in town in terms of play over the course of the season.

That's probably followed by Florida football and FSU. The Bucs get great play in terms of pro football, very thorough coverage by Chris Harry. Jacksonville's probably a rung below that since they don't travel to every road game.

UCF gets great coverage, they travel to every game, they're at every practice. So if O'Leary persists in freezing Orlando out, he and the school would be taking a huge hit in terms of coverage.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Magic is definitely the top beat. But between Schad, Darlington and Curtis on that UF beat they've had some really good young guys who have gone on to some damn good jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted