1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O'Leary freezing out the Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My guess is that George has been advised by his SID not to dispute specifics of the story on a line-item basis, lest he forget to dispute one facet or another, and them people assume they must be true because he didn't question them.

If that makes sense ...

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Probably more like his lawyers. But yeah, I agree 100 percent.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He ain't changed one fuckin' bit, has he?

4. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Given the state of the industry (factoring in layoffs, coverage cutbacks, corners being cut, school Web sites, Rivals and Scout sites and everything else), could anyone still make this kind of statement nowadays and honestly believe it? Would the person hearing it believe it accurately reflects reality?

5. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Morons. I wonder what the "errors" are.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Maybe not if this was the Austin paper in a fight with Mack Brown. But I doubt there are a ton of Web sites covering UCF and most of the papers in Florida aren't covering the team. Plus UCF is probably well below the Magic, the SEC, the ACC and maybe Tampa and Miami area pro sports in that market. In this case it's probably still true.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't think UCF needs the Sentinel at all.

And it kills me to have to say that.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Given the Orlando demographics and college allegiances, the Sentinel doesn't necessarily need UCF either.

@Jake: Other than the Dolphins and possibly the Hurricanes, the Miami pro teams aren't a huge priority for the Sentinel.

9. UCF absolutely needs the Sentinel.

Other than the school newspaper, no other media outlet in the state covers them every single day. Trust me on that one

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I trust you. I just don't think Joe College needs a "media outlet" anymore.

He has the school site. He has blogs. He has message boards. He will (almost) never lack for information on his team . . . and he gets to avoid all that negative stuff those evil reporters sometimes write.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Really liked Whitley's column this morning. He talks about an overall communication problem w/ O'Leary and UCF instead of just going after O'Leary for shutting out the paper.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-whitley1808jul18,0,2778976.column?page=2

Long story short: The kids had sickle cell trait. The school knew about it. It continued to push a kid who was struggling.

This is again about a hell of a lot more than a stubborn coach. And it still isn't going to be pretty.

12. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Sure, "Joe College" doesn't need a media outlet.

Unless he wants to know what really happened when a football player dies in a workout, or something substantive like that.

Whitley was excellent today, in what had to be a difficult column to write given all the facets of this thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted