1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O'Leary freezing out the Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

What a joke, give me a break O'Leary. I seem to remember the Sentinel buying Thunder Sticks for the entire stadium on more than a couple occasions last season ...

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Shouldn't be relevant. As much as we bitch and moan about the expectations of those for whom newspapers provide sponsorship, we shouldn't complain if they take us to task despite these things. They're two separate wings of the newspaper, editorial and promotions, and we should defend that separation even when it inconveniences us.

That's not to say O'Leary's not a whiner. He is. But that's not a good reason.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Has he sent the SID staff scurrying to get rid of the traffic choppers over I-4, for fear they might be shooting video of his practices?

4. O'Leary thinks the Sentinel got things wrong about the story. I don't agree with it, I think Hightower did a great job with every aspect of it.

O'Leary and these other coaches have to know that papers aren't media relations guys. Beat writers cover teams, good and bad. O'Leary looked really bad when those stories came out, and the fact that four of his players turned on him had to sit very badly with him.

That said, don't try to show the paper up. You don't want to talk about the dead player, don't talk about the dead player. But to totally shut the paper down, when it's the only paper that covers you fulltime, isn't the smartest thing to do

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Regardless of whether or not there were inaccuracies in the report, what happened is that four players spoke out about Ereck to the Sentinel and gave their story. It's apparent that O'Leary is not happy about this, and most of the gripe probably goes along with the players speaking out against him to the newspaper.

But if you're a player, and you see this happen, why wouldn't you tell? As cruel as it sounds - a player died on the field from being overworked. What's O'Leary going to do, overwork you as punishment?

That alone makes me think that the players realized that they had nothing to lose, nothing to fear and spoke the truth.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If they're over I-4 they're over 10 miles west of his practices. The UCF campus (and new stadium) is way out in the 'burbs.

7. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

I don't get how this ever ends well for the coach. How does he expect to win this pissing match? Does he think he's going to bring down the paper by not talking to its reporters? If he goes the entire season without talking to the newspaper, and every time the reporter or columnist writes that Georgie refused comment, how does that serve Georgie? How does he not come off as a whiny baby to recruits? Alumni? Boosters? How does he think this ends well for him?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The paper is doing a fine job of bringing down itself without Georgie. They have Sammie.

And O'Leary probably feels like he'll still be here next year. Odds on the paper? Maybe 8-5.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If he can't say what specific errors were made, what are the chances that there were no errors?

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm sure the autopsy results being released were in no way to Georgie's pissing match today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3493985

Douchebag.

11. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

If a coach says your story is inaccurate but refuses to say what needs to be corrected, that means you wrote a great story that is 100 percent true.

Let this baby coach play his baby game. He's only hurting himself.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Especially since George O'Leary should be the last person in the world making a stink about to-the-letter accuracy. You don't want to go there, George. You just don't.

It doesn't absolve the Sentinel (or any other outlet) from the responsibility to get things right, but it means George O'Leary better not be the guy blowing whistles about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted