1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ole Miss making me proud

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John, Nov 19, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Ole Miss puts 20 players on probation for twice stealing items from hotels

The Associated Press
    Published on: 11/18/07

Jackson, Miss. — Mississippi put 20 players on probation Sunday after they twice stole items from hotels.

A news release said the players have paid for the items, which included radios and pillows. Ole Miss coach Ed Orgeron said in the release that the players will be on probation indefinitely.

Officials said the items stolen cost between $15 and $40.

"Any actions similar to this will result in more severe penalties which may include dismissal from the team," Orgeron said in the release.

The action comes a day after the Rebels lost 41-24 to No. 1 LSU in Oxford. It appears the players will be allowed to play Friday at Mississippi State in the final game of the season.

Link for full story:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/11/18/olemiss_1119.html

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't the rooms have TVs?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They were bolted down.
    Doesn't anybody just steal towels anymore?

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Yaw yaw yaw yaw yaaaaaaaaaaaaaw, yaw, yaaaaaaaaaaaw yaw, pillows!
    Yaw yaw yaw yaw yaaaaaaaaaaaaaw, yaw, yaaaaaaaaaaaw yaw, Wild Boyz!

Colonel Reb isn't just crying any more. He's stabbing himself like a samurai suicide.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

This reminds me of what Al McGuire said. He told players that stealing towels shows that someone is a petty person. He said if you were going to steal something, try for something big like the television. Al McGuire wasn't advocating stealing TVs, of course, he was trying to make a point.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A few years ago a bunch of football players at North Texas were busted for stealing towels on a road trip out west. The hotel realized the towels were missing and caught up with the team at the stadium after the game and the players were forced to return the towels on the spot.

I don't remember the name of the hotel but apparently it is known for having really, really nice towels. UNT was in the Big West at the time and one conference official was quoted as saying "If I was going to steal towels, I'd steal theirs."

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That should help the Rebels takeaway ratio... Don't they have soap in Mississippi?

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

And i thought this was going to be about Ole Miss hosting a presidential debate next year :( Who's going?

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/11/19/473817.aspx

The first debate will be held on Friday, Sept. 26, at the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Miss., followed by a town-hall style debate in Nashville, Tenn., on the campus of Belmont University, on Tuesday, Oct. 7. The final debate between presidential contenders is scheduled for Wed., Oct. 15, at Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sure, its three now, but chances are the GOP will chicken out of at least one debate. If I were running these things I'd say, we're having these debates and these will be the groundrules. If you don't want to be there fine, we'll give the hour or 90 minutes to the opponent free of charge.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

If the Republican candidate is behind in the polls, they will probably show up and ask for more debates. Whomever is ahead usually wants fewer debates.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nice.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Clinton operatives already on the ground in Oxford, rehearsing audience members with "spontaneous" questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted