1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldie, but goodie (I hope) ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by credroc, Aug 15, 2007.

1. credroc

credroc Member

Just real quick, loved to get some feedback on sending out writing clips via snail.
    Any thoughts on whether it's best to stick with the old-school copies from the actual tear sheet or print off copies of the stories from the Web and/or an inter-office archive system we have here.
    Seems to me the former would be more appropriate because the latter typically calls for more pages being stapled together and causes more headache than perhaps is necessary for the SE.
    Maybe, I'm old fashion. Just curious.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When I pass my clips along, I try to include the actual clippings, if possible. But sending print-outs of the dinks or PDF has worked for me in the past. I'd stay away from printing out the Web site copies. But it's just a personal preference.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

First, scan in every story you have as a PDF. Do with it what you like: post 'em online on your personal Web site, let the files gather dust on your hard drive, whatever.

Second, invest in the professional versioin of deskPDF. You will thank me later. It's the best $30 or $40 I've spent. Allows me to PDF anything -- images, Word docs, spreadsheets -- and allows me to merge all the PDF files into one. I have it set up so that it takes five minutes for me to put together a PDF package of cover letter (once written), resume, clips and designs, all from the comfort of my laptop or PC, with no trips to Kinko's required.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm incredibly intrigued by that, yet I'm so computer illiterate I wouldn't know how to "scan in every story I have as a PDF." :(

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Correx from my original post: I didn't mean to scan in every story you've ever written. I meant every clip-worthy story.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I still wouldn't know how to 'scan into a PDF' was my basic point.

I just photocopy clips. I'm so techno-stupid.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

You're not the only one. I do the same thing.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

HP Scanpros or whatever they are called are amazingly simple to work with. Scan the story in as a text document at 300 dots per inch. I believe that's the default setting, anyway. Then if you have deskPDF set up on your computer, right-click and you should get an option to "convert with deskPDF." Amazingly simple.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I apologize if I'm underestimating your computer knowledge and being really basic here, but "scanning it in as a PDF" just means that you have a machine that operates not much differently than a Xerox copier, except that instead of making another hard copy it creates an image of the story as a computer file.

The image is called a PDF. It's not like a Word document that you can go in and change, it's more like a snapshot of the hard-copy you have scanned in. It's a file, and you can then print it out whenever you need it or link to it in an e-mail or on a website.

I may be oversimplifying, but that's my understanding.

10. donaugust

donaugust Member

Yes, and that machine is called a scanner.

Draft saved Draft deleted