1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldest working sports writer in the world dies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HarryNutsack, Oct 15, 2008.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Those of you in Connecticut may remember the initimable John William Randolph "Jack" Cruise, who was still reporting in his late 70s/early 80s.

Tie and suit jacket. Politest man I ever met. Always brought a lawn chair. Devout, pious and one of the last of the breed.

He was a strictly local guy, and he figured there were at least two situations where he covered a man, his son and his grandson in high school/college sports.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And he probably covered North Bumfuck JV soccer and how hard the kids worked in his spare time as well.

RIP.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not even close, drip.

Willie was forced to retire at 83, died at 87.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

My bad. Thought he was older.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

We've had an "old sports journalists" thread elsewhere, but the baton now is held by ...?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can name a few who I think are in their late 70s or early 80s, but no one close to 90.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Used to run across Mr. Strauss while reporting in Florida. He was the very definition of crusty old sportswriter. But in a good way.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

And it was the guy's first post. Meaning, he consciously signed up with that handle with the express purpose of delivering this solemn news.

It might say something about my maturity level, but I think that is awesome.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll admit it. I laughed.

10. Your paper doesn't have a ski editor?

11. newgrad2008

newgrad2008 New Member

Really? No one wants to say it?

Fine, I will. See quote edit above.

12. continentaldivide

continentaldivide New Member

I knew where this was headed before I clicked. The "just in time" and "buyout of all buyouts" lines are classic.

Draft saved Draft deleted