1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldest working sports writer in the world dies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HarryNutsack, Oct 15, 2008.

1. HarryNutsack

HarryNutsack New Member

Michael Strauss, a sports writer for 75 years, died Saturday at age 96. Strauss, who was the sports editor of the Palm Beach Daily News, wrote for the New York Times for 50 years before retiring to Palm Beach in 1982. He was the sports editor for the Palm Beach Daily News since then. By his own count, Strauss covered more than 60 different sports in 20 states and on four continents in his career at the Times. Apparently, he was the oldest working sports writer in the world.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Has my full respect, but can't resist:

He got out, just in time.
  3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the gravitas about this announcement, given that it was delivered by HarryNutsack!
  4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Should I make the obvious joke about how I was worried we just lost one of our biggest posters?

I already did? Ew.

Sounds like a good guy. Hope someone primed that pump for the stories he could tell.
  5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, in 1933, he could have been covering Ruth, Gehrig, done a gamer on the first NFL championship game (Giants/Bears at Wrigley Field) or written about the Eagles or Steelers being founded....

RIP, Mr. Strauss. We who are reading this can only hope to have a life so long.
  6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Mike was an occasional fill-in on the baseball beat when I was covering and I will admit he was a real nut. We were going through customs at the Montreal airport once when he said to the agent, "You got that $1,000 you were going to lend me?" I thought we were going to get arrested but Strauss started laughing, then the agent did, too. He was fun to be around for a short period, but I don't think he knew what he was writing half the time.

RIP to the man from the NY Times, who always liked to announce that to anyone within ear shot.
  7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Like Casty I crossed paths with him only a few times and he always seemed a bit eccentric and he always made sure to introduce himself as of THE NEW YORK TIMES very loudly.
    There is a story (I did not witness this) that he was unhappy with his eggs or something at a hotel coffee shop in Philly once and when the waiter's response didn't satisfy him he supposedly said "Then get your manager and tell him Michael Strauss of THE NEW TORK TIMES wishes to speak to him right now."

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The three words that struck me were "Times ski editor." Times have changed just a little.
  9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Are we sure management didn't have him killed so they wouldn't have to pay him two weeks for every year worked?
  10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The way our 401k accounts are going, we'll have his record beaten before you know it.
  11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

That would be the buyout of all buyouts.
  12. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP. The only other guy that I knew who did this crap in his 90's was Willie Klein.
Draft saved Draft deleted