1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

oldest little shockey update

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Mar 21, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

just learned he's been accepted at suny-binghamton, arguably the no. 1 or 2 best of the ny state universities. now he's been accepted everywhere he's applied, but freakin' out over which of his three finalists to choose from: umass, suny-albany or suny-binghamton.

umass will be out of the mix if they don't come thru with about 10 grand a year.

mrs. shockey's all smiles and a lot of pacing. she's been as invested in the whole process as he has. probably more.

just wanted to share, friends.

2. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Congratulations!

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Congrats.

My kid will be a junior in HS next year, so all this college crap will be a new and no doubt highly aggravating experience for us.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's a roller-coaster ride. especially when you consider your child somewhat of an under-achiever. mrs. shockey should, by all rights, have no voice left for all the yelling she's done at our son over the years for not doing his work.

don't know if this means he really under-achieved or if she's just a raving lunatic when it comes to school stuff.

thanks for the congrats....

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Congrats, shockey. My sister is a residence life director at Binghamton and my brother-in-law is a biology professor.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

my sister-in-law the lawyer says binghamton should be his slam-dunk choice, even though the town is dull/ugly.

sure has a top-notch rep.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

The duller/uglier the town, the less likely he is to come home after a semester because he drank away $20K.

Oh and I was hoping he'd finally done the deed with his hot friend. :D :D :D

8. OTD

OTD Active Member

Congratulations to Little (?) Shockey!

I went through this last year, so I know how mind-numbing it can be waiting for the email.

Now you must do your FAFSA (if you haven't already). That reminds me, I need to do mine!

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

My sister was a high-school underachiever, too. I was the overachiever, and she wanted to be different. Surprised us all when she got into the state's best school. She screwed around for a year or two there too, but finally got her head on straight and is now a few months from her master's. Once the kid realizes that it's his life, not yours, I'm sure he'll do fine.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Good genes. ;)

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Congrats shockey!

I was recently accepted to a few colleges in Florida (Flagler, Nova Southeastern, Palm Beach Atlantic) and it's an exciting (yet very stressful)time.

My advice to you is visit all three schools for their open houses/tours (if you haven't already) and have your son walk around and explore, perhaps alone for a little while. Scope out the surrounding area and campus and see if there are activities that he enjoys. Meet some professors in his major and talk to them about classes and student life. That's what I did and immediatly knew that Flagler was the right choice for me.

By the way, I really like UMass. I've been there a few times and it's a nice school with a strong academic program.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Flagler is really pretty. Cool campus. Don't know much about the others.

Draft saved Draft deleted