1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldest functional T ... whatcha got?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A Springsteen Born In The USA tour shirt materialized out of nowhere the other day. I thought it was long gone. I have a Metallica tour shirt from the Reload tour, still in great shape, I wear it once in a while.

I still have shirts commemorating the Jays' two WS wins.

2. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

1986 Twins World Champions, which I still wear in October
    1970 Lucky Lager T, for drinking only
    1969 Keep on Truckin', for toking only (never worn of course)
    1968 BDU, for huntin' only

The older you get, the more old shit you hang on to

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Oldest t-shirt I think is a 1998 Old Navy July 4 flag shirt. It's gotten pretty thin, but it's still very comfortable, though it has a rip in the tag area. I only wear it if everything else is dirty, which is exceedingly rare, since I have at least 30 t-shirts.

Oldest piece of clothing I have is a surplus flight jacket I bought in '85 right after Top Gun hit the threatres. It no longer fits, so I passed it on to my son. He's not all that wild about it. I was thinking about this the other day and realized I no longer have my hs letter jacket. Don't know what happened to it.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I have an Aerosmith concert shirt from 1976, my first one to attend of many through the years.

That's right. It's 32 years old.

My son wears it.

5. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I've got a pile of 'em waiting for me to take the plunge and finally do that.

Oldest one in rotation is probably an Incubus shirt from '99 or an Oregon shirt I got that same year when I went on a visit to campus.

Oldest one I have in the soon-to-be-quilt pile is a little league/t-ball shirt from summer of 87 or 88, whichever was the first year I played ball.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oh wait ... functional, you say?

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I have one of my Little League shirts, 1976.... don't wear it, it's in a box..have a 'Pete's Back' shirt from 1984 when he returned to the Reds... that's in a box, too.... otherwise, I have some T-shirts from a long trip to Europe in 1995.. I still wear some of them, including a soft, wonderful one from Amsterdam that has a few holes but still looks good.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I had to retire my golden boy a few months ago -- a maroon USC T with more holes in it than most arguments on SJ political threads.

Vaulting into the top spot now is a 1995 Southern Vermont College No. 12 baseball jersey I bought for 5 bucks from a pitcher named Jeff Casey, or something like that. I love that thing. It's not a T, I know, but it serves the same purpose.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got my Bay Bridge World Series shirts from '89, some college shirts older than that, and while functional, they are mostly saved for the gym.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice pull...

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have a Peachtree Road Race 1987 T that is still very wearable except, well, you know. I'm bigger now.
    My son has a friend's 1980 Peachtree T and still wears that.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've got two Nike t-shirts from the 80s which still are in the rotation -- a "You Don't Know Diddley" shirt with a picture of Bo Diddley's face and a shirt which looks like a pair of blue and black Jordans are tied over the shoulder.

Draft saved Draft deleted