1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldest functional T ... whatcha got?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Looking through my drawers - not my underwears pervies (Hi Ace!) - I noticed a lot of my everyday, afterwork T-shirts were rather old.
    Still functional, some wear, but acceptable to make a quick trip to Wal-mart or Home Depot or mow the grass. I have T-shirts that are 15 years old... several from college and a few from summer jobs.

My oldest is from the fall of 1992. Faded, but still comfy and the logos are readable.

What do you have?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Re: Oldedst functional T ... whatcha got?

Little 'hack has a hand-me-down Bama shirt from fifth grade (circa 1985-86). The oldest one still in my rotation is probably a Mardi Gras shirt from '99.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I got an old Bama shirt Mrs. TBF got me shortly after we got married in 99.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I'm old enough and usually purge through old shirts enough so that I don't have any college leftovers. Besides, my pro teams are too new for them to be that old.

I did keep one shirt from my marching band days until a couple of years ago. While it was supposed to be white, it turned mostly red after some jerk threw a blunt object at me from the stands at a road game. I didn't notice until after the game that it left me a bloody mess (really ... not a British term in this case).

Otherwise, all I have is a marching band sweatshirt that I stored in my boxes in the basement. That was before I hit physical puberty, so it's a little small these days.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've got one from The Cars '82 tour. I didn't even go to the show - friends bought it for me. Second oldest is a long-sleeved t from the Beastie Boys '86 tour.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I've got quite a few from 1987-89 or so that still get the job done.

My beloved go-to Colgate T-shirt finally gave up the ghost maybe a year ago. It was 13 or so.

Reminds me of the scene in Heartbreakers (1984 version) where Nick Mancuso finally burns the T-shirt that Blue (PeterCoyote) has been wearing throughout.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oldedst? Really?

Anyhoo, I have socks that are about 20 years old, and a tie from back in college.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

First triathlon long-sleeved T from 1988. And a T-shirt from summer camp that same year.

9. Happy now?

10. three_bags_full

Not a t-shirt, but I have -- and still wear -- the first pair of combat boots the Army ever issued me. 13 years old this fall.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: T_B_F is Hawkeye Pierce.

12. three_bags_full

I am now, at least, in the Army's Medical Corps.

Draft saved Draft deleted