1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldest bars in America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The Horse You Came In On Saloon in Fells Point, Baltimore claims to be the oldest saloon in America, and that it has operated continuously even through Prohibition. Open since 1775.

Fun place. Always had that hole in the wall feel.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Baltimore still has that dingy working class vibe with enough students to give many of the bar areas, Fells Point, Fed Hill and Canton a good dive bar scene.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Are you sure you don't mean The Horse You Rode Inn of Car Talk fame?

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Knocked a few back at Lafitte's during a weekend in New Orleans. Way at an end of Bourbon Street, it was like a whole different world.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I grew up in South Jersey and have been by the Barnsboro Inn many times. I never knew it had any more or less historical significance than any other old building in the region. Honestly, they don't do a good job of marketing it if the Yahoo claim is true.

Same with the place in Ambler, PA. I never frequented Ambler, but I've been to and through the town. I never knew such a place existed. I would've stopped by.

I have admit some skepticism as to the veracity of this list.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

For such a historic city and such a great drinking city, Charleston does not have a go-to old bar.

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

The only ones I've been to are Ohio Club in Hot Springs, AR and Old Ebbitt in DC.

Ohio Club has a really cool vibe to it, but I don't remember the beer selection or food menu to be anything memorable. Then again, it is Arkansas. Hot Springs is a nice place to spend a weekend visiting.

Counting Old Ebbitt almost feels like cheating. Very good crab cakes and expensive drinks. Luckily, almost evey time I have been to Old Ebbitt, someone else was paying.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The definition of marketing fail is Indiana's entry on that list, a Crowne Plaza at the historic Union Station in downtown Indy. It has some rooms in Pullman train cars -- but no pictures of those rooms on the hotel's website.

Draft saved Draft deleted