1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldest active coaches.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Sep 11, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If I am not mistaken, he was the inspiration for the Reg Dunlop character in Slap Shot.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Brian Kilrea turns 73 next month, and he still runs his own practices. That's a long time to be taking all the bus trips involved in junior hockey. John Brophy is just one year older, and is not coaching this season (yet anyway).

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bob Shelton this year tied the late Gordon Wood as the longest-tenured coach in Texas prep history (44 years, the last 40 at Buda Hays) but Shelton has only 291 career wins.

I wish G.A. Moore would get the itch to coach again. The shit he's pulled over the years ....

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Lou Saban was 80 when he was named head coach at Chowan University in N.C. in the middle of the 2001 season. He went 2-3 that year, then resigned after an 0-10 season in 2002.

I can't find anything on the web that he's coached since then, if he's still alive.

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Lou Saban is still alive and turns 86 on Oct. 13, according to Internet information.

6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

University of St. Francis coach Gordie Gillespie is nearly 80, has coached 54 years and has 1,677 victories as a baseball coach at various locations. He also led Joliet Catholic's football teams to five state titles and 222 wins.

Draft saved Draft deleted