1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old timers - need help finding a toy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My father and father-in-law were going off last night talking about some toy they both had growing up that climbed walls. My FIL called it a "chauggy (sp?)." My father said you put it on a wall, pulled a string and it climbed up. Neither of the two - both who celebrated my daughter's first birthday with a few beverages - could describe much more about it.
    I've googled the crap out of this. Does anyone remember it? Or know the real name of it? Dad and FIL are 56 and 57 and said the toy is from the 1960s.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Little Orby?

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1959toys.html

No, I don't remember Little Orby. I'm not that old.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uh huh.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I shall respond in as Craig would have when his colleagues would make such comments - so imagine this with a Wisconsin accent:

I don't remember Little Orby, but I did have a toy that had a little ink dispenser. You'd wind it up, put it on a piece of paper and it would move around, leaving ink tracings of its tracks. When looking at the tracings, it seemed like the toy was trying to say "Fuck you, Moddy."

5. Moderator1

Now THAT I can believe.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That made me laugh. I wish I'd heard some of his responses; I love someone who will go through an effort for the payoff.

7. Rhody31

That was the closest thing I could find last night; dad and FIL said that wasn't it.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There was something that climbed down walls, but climbing up? That I don't remember.

9. Rhody31

He swears it climbed up them. The things I've found climbed down. I don't think the toy is a man that climbs up or anything; he just said it was a toy that climbed up.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That was awesome.

11. Moderator1

Mine says "Fuck you JD!"

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Hmm. Defective, huh? Hope you kept your receipt.

Draft saved Draft deleted