1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old technology you have to explain to kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Oct 14, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Trying explaining what CC and BCC means to kids. It leads to explaining a mimeograph.

Lots of kids have no clue how to mail a letter (addressing it, where to put the stamp)

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I keep one of my old cell phones around so I can look up which letters to dial for companies like Comcast. Assholes changed their number to 1-800-XFINITY, but don't put the corresponding numbers on the bill. My smartphone (and probably most smartphones) doesn't have the traditional keypad.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My wife and I found an actual telephone booth in our wanderings recently. It was fun watching the kids play in it and see an actual working phone. We had to explain to them that at one point in history, people actually had to use these contraptions to make telephone calls. They couldn't do them instantly.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Every so often, I see one of these around a gas station or convenience store. Not sure if it still works, but it's there.

[​IMG]

Batman, my smartphone has the letters underneath the numbers on the touchscreen.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How about standing at the TV and holding the rabbit ears a certain way to get a good picture. Heck, how about an actual TV console.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I still have to move my "antenna" around to try and pick up a better signal for the basic channels I get.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I know what they mean, but what do they have to do with a mimeograph?

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Maybe that, since the number of sheets of carbon paper and onionskin you could stuff into a typewriter was finite, if you needed more copies, you had to resort to mimeograph.

I wonder if that's why people copy everyone on everything now. It's just so easy.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've never seen a mimeograph used.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

You could get high on the smell. The ink was impossible to wash off.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

and thus, children of today do not get why this class is sniffing the paper in "Fast Times at Ridgemonet High

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted