1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old technology you have to explain to kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Oct 14, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Explaining why a shutter-sound is made on your phone (young kids have never seen a film camera)

That noise that computers made to get online

Corded phones

I've heard schools don't have chalkboards anymore...just dry erase or computer projection.

Explaining why we "rewind" a digital TV show that was "taped" on your DVR. (and for an aside...remember "VHS rewinder" machines? Don't forget: "Be Kind. Rewind.")

Any others have stories about explaining stuff to kids.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My boys laughed their butts off about how cool it was to ride in a truck with windows that opened when you cranked the handle.

Also I've been asked what the heck I mean when I say I taped a show.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How and why you had to thread a movie projector.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was reading in The New York Times Magazine[/Dick Whitman] about the history hybrid cars[/Lugnuts] and how they jolt just a little when you hit the gas while stopped. Apparently, there's no reason for them to do that. It's all part of integrating new technology and user expectation. The same is true for phones making that shutter-snap sound while taking a photo.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Kids don't understand why Pong was cool.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read an article in the last few years about the phenomena about the record scratch sound. Post CD kids know the sound means something didn't go the way it is supposed to, but they don't understand how it originated.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

My mom kept her phone with a rotary dial until a few years ago. My nieces got a huge kick out of that

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Local columnist wrote about an until recently functional rotary phone at an old-time theater in his town.

He said it was fascinating watching kids try to use it, and not know when to remove their fingers.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Bet you never stacked pennies on a tonearm, young man.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Moddy once told me to put away my sliderule.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Never throw away your cell phones or smart phones. They are tomorrow's antiques.

Try explaining to people why going to the bank on Friday used to be so important.

Draft saved Draft deleted